Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have hazel eyes that have a corona of goldish brown coming

I have hazel eyes that have a corona of goldish brown coming out from near the pupil. However in the past week I have noticed that the gold pigment in my right eye has darkened some and is more like a true brown. I just noticed this about a week ago for the first time. Is this enough of a change in pigment that I should be concerned?

I want to add that I've been feeling a bit of pressure in, or behind the eye (hard to tell which) similar to when I used to get migraines.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Tom :

Hello, first ....Iris pigmentation usually is normal, and mild changes also can be normal. Would you have a way to get a digital photograph and attach it to our web chat?

Customer:

I could take one from my computer but, I'm not sure if the light or resolution would be good enough. May I take a second to try?

Dr. Tom :

Yes please do.

Customer:

thanks.

Customer:

OK, I have managed to get a picture that shows the difference as well as I'm going to be able to capture it like this. My apologies for not having an actual camera. I need to insert the image via URL?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

I have to laugh, I look very silly trying to take the picture. Again, my apologies for this being the best I can conjure.

Customer:

I know sometimes changes in pigment happen during aging, but what makes me suspicious about it is that it is only in my right eye and not both. Furthermore, since I noticed it the other day I could swear I am feeling some pressure in or around my eye (similar to when I used to get migraines.) However I'm not sure if that could be a placebo effect of me worrying about the eye.

Customer:

I see you had left the chat. Did you receive my picture I sent?

Customer:

Hello?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Noah....pardon me but I must leave for my office. May I get back with you later this morning?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
I did receive your picture. Please standby and give me a few minutes to get to the proper computer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, sorry. I wasn't receiving the replies you had sent. Take your time.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Noah...you are correct...it's a great picture, but there is not sufficient detail to help in the chat discussion.
While it is very unlikely that you have developed a serious problem, it is remotely possible.

For your piece of mind, I recommend that you arrange an appointment with a retina specialist. All ophthalmologists can give you a good examination, I do this all of the time in cases like yours.....but if you actually have developed a problem, the fellowship trained retina docs are the most knowledgeable in this field of tumors of the iris, ciliary body and other parts of the eye, and their management. Does this make sense, and help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It helps ease my mind about it a little bit knowing that it is most likely not a serious problem. I'll most likely let it be for now and if the pigmentation changes more drastically or I start to feel any further discomfort from it I will go straight to a retina specialist. Makes perfect sense, and is kind of along the lines of what I was already thinking, but "hearing" it from the "mouth" of someone who deals with eyes everyday is good. Thanks a lot.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
You bet....please let me know how things go.......and please rate our encounter with a smiling face before you check out.....Many thanks
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems