Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I was diagnosed with glaucoma in 2006. I have no family history

I was diagnosed with glaucoma in 2006. I have no family history of the disease. I had presented the doctor with a self-diagnosis of retinal detachment. After years of treatment with eye drops, my eye pressures seemed normal with Travatan Z twice a day and Combigan in one eye at a time once a day. Mild to severe eye drops are applied throughout the day. My vision tested better without my glasses. I have small, "young" cataracts. I am a 75 year old female.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

JACUSTOMER-lwgml2xt- :

I am here.

Dr. Tom :

Hello....I would like to help you. I have reviewed your posting. Please tell me what your question is.....it sounds like you have been well cared for so far.

Dr. Tom :

The two medication you are using are excellent for glaucoma care, and early cataracts are perfectly common for someone your age. As long as your vision is good you can defer cataract surgery.

Dr. Tom :

I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have?

Dr. Tom :

The webpage indicates that you are in the chat room.........please reply so that I can know what question I may answer for you?

JACUSTOMER-lwgml2xt- :

Are you telling me that my question was not forwarded to you?

Dr. Tom :

We seem to be having a techincal problem....but I am here for you. Please let me know if you are still on line and available for a conversation?

Dr. Tom :

Since you are still not available, I shall check back in to help you tomorrow. Best wishes.

Dr. Tom :

Hello again.....since we are having trouble getting together in this chat, I will switch to the Q and A format......Even if it says our chat has ended...don't worry...I am still available to help. Just send me a message and I will get back to you.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know when we can discuss your posting. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a directory that I might use to find doctors that specialize in the treatment of glaucoma? I will need a second opinion to rule out retinal detachment.

Now I need to read your answers.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glynnie......................I will be glad to get you a list.........Please tell me the largest city near you and I will review the credentials of the glaucoma specialist in your area. Is that what you would like for me to do for you?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Glynnie....it looks like you are off line again....so if you will leave me a note with the name of a city near you, tomorrow morning I will get you a reference for a glaucoma specialist near you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not read your answers to my questions.

I would like to see an experienced glaucoma specialist in Houston.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi Glynnie..It's good to hear back from you.These two doctors have excellent credentials. They are both at the Cullen Eye Institute in Houston:

Benjamin Frankfort, MD, PhD, is an instructor in the Department of Ophthalmology. He was a member of the MD-PhD program at Baylor College of Medicine and completed his graduate training in the Department of Molecular and Human Genetics. Dr. Frankfort's medical training includes a residency in ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, as well as a glaucoma fellowship at the Cullen Eye Institute of BCM. During his fellowship he was named a Heed Foundation fellow and received a Career Development Award from Research to Prevent Blindness. Dr. Frankfort's practice focuses on the medical and surgical management of glaucoma.

Ronald L. Gross, MD, is professor of Ophthalmology and Clifton R. McMichael Chair of Ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine. He is board certified, with special interests in glaucoma. Following undergraduate studies at Rice University in Houston, Dr. Gross earned his medical degree from West Virginia University School of Medicine in Morgantown. He completed internship training and a residency in ophthalmology at the Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, followed by a fellowship in glaucoma at Wills Eye Hospital, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia.

Please let me know if I can do anything else for you. Thanks

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for recommending specialists I might contact. I am pleased by your choice of highly well-trained doctors. I will call for an appointment early next week.

I may very well have glaucoma. If so, I would like the best treatments available. I am yet questioning whether I have a problem with retinal detachment. The flashes of light at the outside of my eyes continue to occur, especially as I leave from a lighted area and enter a dark area.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to have been of service to you. Please let me know if there's anything else you would like for me to do for you.