Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I have had dry eye sydrome for 10 plus years. Now my left eye

I have had dry eye sydrome for 10 plus years. Now my left eye has areas (visible by the naked eye) which appear dry, measure 1 cm by 1 cm, and do not absorb any eye drops, have pain, and never go away. At night I tape my left eye shut, but still have pain. It is on the white part of eye. Could it be more than dry eye sydrome? I also have severe dry vagina and muscular and joint pain, waking me up at night. The vision fluctuates in both eyes. What do you think about the new proceedure "Lipo-something", where the massage the upper and lower eyelids in attempt to Un-plug stopped up glands? Thanks Becky

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat in a couple of minutes?

yes, I am sitting at the computer now- Becky! It is a complicated question,

Dr. Tom :

Yes....well to get started...Lipoflow seems to be a viable instrument and helps some people. It is not universally available, so you would have to seek out an ophthalmologist in your area who has committed to the for your primary question....your symtoms are consistent with Sjogrens Syndrome. please revied this Mayo webpage......I will wait for you to come back with follow-up questions....

About five years ago I had blood test for Sjogrens syndrome, RA, lupus and various other blood test, which all showed negative. Should I have these test repeated? I have all symptoms described in the Mayo article. Which drug do you think is the most effective and how effective is it?

Dr. Tom :

Right, even though you had an earlier negative work-up, disease progesses evolve over time. It's time for you get re-evaluated by rheumatology. Do that first. Regarding the proper medication....that is in the realm of the rheumatologist. They are very experienced with management of patients like you. ...please get a tube of Lacrilube ophthalment ointment to put inside your lids at bedtime...that should aid in your sleeping comfort. Is there anything else I might answer for you?

The fatigue is overwhelming at times, any suggestions? also would you pursue the Lipiflow treatments ( not covered by insurance and cost $1,600) or wait to see a rheumatologist? Becky

Dr. Tom :

Becky....please wait on your primary work up before going for the Lipoflow. As for the fatigue.....ask the rheumatologist to consider chronic fatigue syndrome as part of your fits....and best wishes've got a lot to deal with. I'm glad I could give you some useful hints. You can always direct other questions to me down the road if you think I can help further.

You helped me immensely, I wish you lived in Dallas, and I would become one of your patients! Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX

PS- will keep you updated- Becky

Dr. Tom :

Thanks....when you rate our encounter....please consider positive feedback.....I'll use your reply as a testimonial...thanks and best to you.

It does not appear that you rated my help to you. Please take a moment to rate our encounter by clicking that smiling face. Thank you.

Hello again Becky.

Please take a minute to click the smiling face to rate our encounter.