Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

just about 15 minutes ago a "prism" has appeared in my vision.

just about 15 minutes ago a "prism" has appeared in my vision. it started as a piece of what I was looking at being disturbed, i describe it as a piece of the picture missing. now it has increased to a full arched flickering prism. it seemed at first to be in both eyes but I think I have determined now that it is my left eye. As I write this the prism seems to be moving more outward in a larger arch, less intrusive to the middle of what I am looking at and it's easier to see now. Thoughts? This is occurring over a 15-20 min period of time.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat?

yes i am now

during the time it has taken me to fill this out, the prism has nearly disappeared...

Dr. Tom : Great. Your symptoms are very much consistent with the condition referred to as and ophthalmic migraine. It is also referred to as a scintillating scotoma. Most of the time these are stress, anxiety associated.
Dr. Tom : And the fact that your symptoms abated over about 15 minutes is very consistent.

Wow! So, that's good news right?

Dr. Tom : Does that make sense and can I answer any other questions for you.
Dr. Tom : Yes that is good news.

That makes sense to me as I've had some other symptoms physically that I have associated to stress over the last 24 hours. Thank you...I think my stress level just dropped dramatically!!! Do you recommend any other course of action related to eye exam or anything like that?

Dr. Tom : You should be fine. But it would certainly be prudent for you to go ahead and get good eye examination for the record. Best wishes. Let me know if is anything else I can answer for you.

Thank you.