Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a 6 year old son that has been having watery eyes for

I have a 6 year old son that has been having watery eyes for a few months, sometimes with headaches, but not always. We went to the Doc and he said it appears to be allergies. Poor little guy is miserable. I am trying to figure out what is causing this. we got a dog a year ago in December, so it might be that. If that is the culprit, how long after I get rid of the dog will it take for his eyes to clear up. Also, could watery eyes mean something more serious? is there any do it yourself allergy tests out there so that I can see what he is allergic to?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

Apart from allergies, the watering from eyes could be due to dry eyes( reflex tearing), blepharitis ( inflammation of the lid margins). I guess he needs anti-allergy eye drops too apart from the oral Zyrtec liquid. Pataday eye drops are very effective and can be given in the dose of 1 drop twice a day for 3-4 weeks. It is a prescription medicine and can be given by your ophthalmologist. In the meanwhile till you get the prescription eye drops, you can try over the counter Alaway/Zaditor eye drops, 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks. It would be an uphill task to get down to the exact allergen as it could be anything in the air such as pollen/dust/weather change/ air conditioner and so on. If you know about any of his known allergies then you can avoid the allergen but if you are not aware of any then I guess it becomes difficult ( then it is just trial and error) . There are no known home tests for eye allergies.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your expertise... I appreciate it. Should I be concerned of an underlying cause or does it sound like allergies to you?

Hello Becky,

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the delay in replying back.

I would be concerned about continuous watering from the eyes if there was associated redness/pain/photophobia( intolerence to bright light)/reduced vision/ profuse discharge. Since your son does not have any of these symptoms, it does look like allergies at the moment.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince