Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Stabbing pain starting behind either left or right eye, usually

Stabbing pain starting behind either left or right eye, usually graduates to behind both eyes, and across the whole top of my head??? Had UNBEARABLE headache all day last Sunday, then again just this past Saturday into Sunday, and then off and on yesterday, and almost all day today. No relief from ibuprofen, sinus medication, or Excedrin.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have already tried taking medicines for common causes of such severe headache such as sinusitis/migraine, I guess you should get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist once for a closer look at the intraocular pressure and if need be a gonioscopy ( to check if the re is any sign suggestive of angle closure glaucoma).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any known history of sinusitis/migraine/ dental caries ?

Customer:

Have had sinus infections before but I don't have the congestion that I normally have with them.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

Had eye exam about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and pretty sure the glaucoma test??? Do you think it's necessary for anothe one?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. If there was no suspicion of glaucoma then ( a shallow anterior chamber if not present few years back would not occur later), then I guess you must be having headache due to migraine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Maybe you can try taking plain Acetaminophen tablet, 650 mg , 1 tablet twice a day for pain relief.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can see that you are typing....so I 'll wait for your reply.

Customer:

Saw family Dr. yesterday, (not doubting her or anything, but TIRED of these headaches!!). She said my ears were clear but suspected sinusitis, and gave me nasal spray. It seems to help a little (sometimes) but NOT today at all!!

Customer:

I have never had a migraine, I don't think, would the Acetaminophen help if that is what it is?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand ...... about the headahces.... Many a times the headache becomes severe after the acute phase of sinusitis is over (- post congestive ). .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It can come even after 2-3 weeks of an episode of sinusitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Either ways ( whether post sinusitis headahce or first time migraine), Tab.Acetaminophen, 650 mg, taken twice a day can be tried.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Along with that you can take Tab.Zyrtec, 10 mg , 1 tablet at bedtime for any ongoing chronic sinusitis ( it is an anti-histaminic).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just before sleeping, you can also do steam inhalation to decongest the blocked airways/sinuses.

Customer:

She DID say these usually take like 10-14 days to run their course, and since the headache started over a wk. ago, that rather than load me full of antibiotics that we'd try the nasal spray for now. So can you tell me how much longer these headaches could last? It's almost unbearable sometimes!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These headaches could last for a week or two ( I have myself suffered these post congestive headaches in the past ! I got relief only with acetaminophen , 650 mg and zyrtec 10 mg, taken for 1 week ).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your doctor is right about the antibiotic part. More often than not these episodes are non-infective allergic sinusitis. Symptomatic treatment should give relief gradually.

Customer:

Wow!! that's DEPRESSING!!! But THANK YOU though!! I guess I'm just glad you don't think it's anything more serious!!!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sure you will get relief from these nasty headaches soon. Take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you ?

Customer:

Again!! THANK YOU!!!