Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi, I have had surgery on my eyes to correct droopy eylids.

Hi, I have had surgery on my eyes to correct droopy eylids. This was
several years ago. Today I have a droopy left eye of my bottom eye lid.
The eye sags and I also have dry eye of it. My question: Does this have
to be corrected by surgery and what is involved? I won't go back to the
doc I had but my eye waters and I look as though I just finished crying.
Please give me some good advice. Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. This doesn't absolutely have to be fixed, though it is likely the cause of your watering and contributes to the dry eye.

Doctor DanB :

This problem is called ectropion. To fix it involves an outpatient surgery where you are given local anesthetic, and likely some small amount of intravenous medicine to help you relax. The recovery is minimal and this usually fixes the problem and it's attendant symptoms

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

Yes, thank you. It makes sense. Who can do this? I have an optamologist

Customer:

who is considered quite talented. He removed my cataracks and inserted

Doctor DanB :

Yes, most ophthalmologists should be able to do this surgery. If yours doesn't, then I would seek out an orbital/oculoplastic specialist (which is an ophthalmologist with fellowshiop training in doing precisely these kinds of surgeries).

Customer:

new lenses. I can see and read without glasses and i am well satisfied.

Customer:

The doc who did surgery for the "droops" was recommended by my

Customer:

opt. I have an appt. coming up and will ask him about ectropion. Thanks.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

Can I ask another question - - -this time about my dog who has dibetes and

Customer:

is blind. I understand she can be restored to sight by having new

Customer:

Thank you it makes sense. I will approach my optimologist about ectropion. He also removed my cataracks and inserted new lenses and I can see well without

Customer:

glasses. I am very happy with this. May I ask you about how dogs respond

Customer:

to the same treatment? My dog has mature cataracks and is blind. The vet

Customer:

said she still has dilation of pupils and is probably a candidate for

Customer:

new lenses. Do you concur? Please answer. Thanks.

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry. I had to step away from my desk for a few minutes. Let me read your questions.

Doctor DanB :

If your dog has gone blind from the effects of diabetes on the retina, then no, getting cataract surgery and new lens will not improve the vision. If there is not significant retinal damage from the diabetes, then yes, I would expect that getting cataract surgery with a new lens would improve the vision.

Customer:

Thank you for the info . I REALLY appreciate your candid response.

Customer:

And thanks also for the info you gave me about my eyes! Invaluaable!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology