Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. the day after surgery

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. the day after surgery i went back and the doctor said that my pressure was ok in the right eye but elevated in the left eye. 3 days later i went to my optomerist in the right eye level went from 16 to 28. left eye was at 29. my optomerist gave me zioptan. my optomerist could not see nothing wrong with the eye. pls adv

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you have a known history of glaucoma/ocular hypertension?

Customer:

no

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A post-operative rise of intraocular pressure (IOP) can occur due to various reasons such as retained viscoelastic material within the eye, retained lens matter, post-operative inflammation, steroid eye drops induced as in case of steroid responders.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Irrespective of the cause, anti-glaucoma would be needed to keep the IOP under control.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have already been put on Zioptan eye drops, it is better to continue the same for 2 weeks atleast. A repeat IOP measurement after 2 weeks would help to know if IOP is well controlled.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Following that the Zioptan eye drops can be withdrawn , once the IOP stabilises.

Customer:

why the rise of about 10 points in just three days when i seen the doctors. if thme zioptan does not stabilize then what

Dr. A.S. Desai :

IOP can rise even immediately following surgery for reasons mentioned earlier.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If Zioptan does not keep the IOP under control then a short course of oral Acetazolamide, 250 mg, 1 tablet twice a day can be given for few days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Whatever is the cause, it is temporary and should get resolved in the coming few days or weeks with treatment.

Customer:

my doctor has me taking zioptan for one month then a recheck

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, that sounds fine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

my first day i put two drops in each eye. does this cause a problem

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No that would not cause any problem. But henceforth you can remember to put one drop once a day.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have a good day !