Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

What is the treatment for vitreo macular traction? Is vetrectomy

What is the treatment for vitreo macular traction? Is vetrectomy the only answer?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

What is your opinion on the use of Ocriplasim for treatment?

Doctor DanB : It has shown some very good efficacy in persons with early stage vitreomacular adhesion. In those persons, in whom their visual acuity may be worsened from the VMA and in whom surgery is not necessary yet, the ocriplasmin can be very beneficial.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions?
Customer:

What is the procedure for that treatment?

Doctor DanB : It involves an injection into the eye; it's an in-office procedure.
Customer:

What are the risks involved?

Doctor DanB : The most important risk is that of infection. Any kind of injection into the eye carries with it a small, but distinct chance of infection.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

How much can one expect to pay for the procedure?

Doctor DanB : Each injection costs around $2000 though many insurance companies are likely to reimburse for this as it is now FDA approved.
Customer:

Before this drug was FDA approved surgery vitrectomy was the route taken. Doesn't it means then that the eye would deteriorate before proceeding with surgery and hence a loss of vision experienced?

Doctor DanB :

It doesn't necessarily mean that, no. However, the FDA studies done on this drug excluded those patients who had a prior vitrectomy, because these patients are less likely to have the classic vitreo-macular adhesion that causes macular holes. Does that make sense?

Customer:

As I said my left eye was given a vitrectomy for vitreo-macular adhension. The symptoms came on so suddenly with dramatic visual distortion. I am very fearful that my right eye will do the same thing without much warning. Does the OCT give a good indication of what should be done?

Customer:

And when?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, the OCT does give a fairly good indication of what may happen to the eye, especially when taken into the context of what happened with your left eye. You sound like you are probably a good candidate for the ocriplasmin injection. As to when this injection should take place, there is no hard and fast rule as to when the injection should happen. This is best decided between you and your retinal surgeon, who knows your case intimately. Unfortunately there's no suggested time-frame that has been suggested by research studies as there has not been multiple studies done of this drug yet to elucidate that kind of an answer.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

This all makes sense and I may have further questions but for now I can't think of any. Thank you for your kind replies, I appreciate the information.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology