Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have had little black dots dance across my eye every so often

I have had little black dots dance across my eye every so often for many years. a couple of days ago, there seems to be long very thin black lines and a sort of fuzzyness, almost like looking through dirty scratch glasses. Any clue what this could be?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the new symptom of black thin lines also associated with flashes of light?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you had a dilated eye exam in the past for the tiny dots floating across the eye ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have not mentioned about any blurring of vision, so I guess the vision is good but for the black lines floating across.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have mentioned about- "a sort of fuzzyness, almost like looking through dirty scratch glasses". Is it so uniformly throughout the visual field or only in part of it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like you have gone offline at the moment. I will type my answer and switch over to Q&A mode so that can still view the answer leisurely once you are back.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Symptoms of floaters and flashes of light can occur in different eye conditions such as retinal detachment(RD) and posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). RD is more of an ocular emergency and is characterised by a sudden bout of flashes of light and a shower of floaters along with blurring of vision in one or more quadrants of the visual field and is typically described as if a curtain or veil has fallen in the line of vision( it is painless). RD is more common in those with short sightedness(myopia), diabetic retinopathy, trauma to the eye. However it is very difficult to know if there has been a RD just based on symptoms alone. A dilated eye examination by an ophthalmologist would be confirmative.

In PVD, the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

It is better to get your eye examined by an ophthalmologist so as to confirm whether the retina is intact and free from retinal holes and tears.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist.