Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

RA-RP

Customer Question

I have had a cough (bonchitits I believe) for the past 2-3 weeks. It started with a tickle in my throat that kept me hacking day and night. The tickle stopped about a week ago. I do not cough at night, but feel a need to cough during the day to clear the wet wheezing at times.

I also have severe seasonal allergies. I live in Central Florida - pollen count is extremely high right now. My cough is "wet" and diminishing, but I dare not take Claritin D for fear of drying the "wet". I have had no fever other than last night - 99.6. Maybe because I coughed so much during the day. I am taking Ibuprofin every 4 hours - no fever this morning. Do I need to see a doctor or will this "thing" clear on its own. I've never faced an allergy season without help from an antihistamine. I want to pull my eyes out. Please advise.
Thanks
Arlene
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer :

Ok - go ahead.

Dr. Rick :

Arlene,

While it is possible that you will be able to weather this allergy flair up, especially if the pollen count goes down soon I am concerned that you have already been suffering for three weeks already.

Customer :

Amen!

Dr. Rick :

At this point, it probably wouldn't be unreasonable for you to consult with your doctor after the weekend for a number of reasons. First, she will be able to make sure that nothing else is going on that is contributing to your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

And, second, she probably will be able to give you some Rx strength medicine to make you feel better.

Dr. Rick :

In my opinion, suffering for 3 weeks is long enough.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you need to go to the ER this weekend.....your primary care MD on Monday should be good enough

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
why have you rated me with poor service? You did not even ask me for more information before giving me poor feedback. That was not very nice.

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.