Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

RA-RP

Customer Question

I have had a cough (bonchitits I believe) for the past 2-3 weeks. It started with a tickle in my throat that kept me hacking day and night. The tickle stopped about a week ago. I do not cough at night, but feel a need to cough during the day to clear the wet wheezing at times.

I also have severe seasonal allergies. I live in Central Florida - pollen count is extremely high right now. My cough is "wet" and diminishing, but I dare not take Claritin D for fear of drying the "wet". I have had no fever other than last night - 99.6. Maybe because I coughed so much during the day. I am taking Ibuprofin every 4 hours - no fever this morning. Do I need to see a doctor or will this "thing" clear on its own. I've never faced an allergy season without help from an antihistamine. I want to pull my eyes out. Please advise.
Thanks
Arlene
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

JACUSTOMER-ofawyoq2- :

Ok - go ahead.

Dr. Rick :

Arlene,

While it is possible that you will be able to weather this allergy flair up, especially if the pollen count goes down soon I am concerned that you have already been suffering for three weeks already.

JACUSTOMER-ofawyoq2- :

Amen!

Dr. Rick :

At this point, it probably wouldn't be unreasonable for you to consult with your doctor after the weekend for a number of reasons. First, she will be able to make sure that nothing else is going on that is contributing to your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

And, second, she probably will be able to give you some Rx strength medicine to make you feel better.

Dr. Rick :

In my opinion, suffering for 3 weeks is long enough.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you need to go to the ER this weekend.....your primary care MD on Monday should be good enough

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
why have you rated me with poor service? You did not even ask me for more information before giving me poor feedback. That was not very nice.

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.