Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Im 38, and I started seeing halos around lights more so in

I'm 38, and I started seeing halos around lights more so in my left eye than the right.

This just started perhaps two months ago very lightly and now they're more visible (especially last week).

I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic two years ago, and have noticed my left eye started to get a bit blurry compared to my right eye since then.

could this be cataract?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes I am

Customer:

hi

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Halos around lights can be seen either due to corneal edema ( fluid accumalation in the layers of the cornea which also reduces vision) or due to very early cataract.

Customer:

could it start this quick?

Customer:

I mean within couple of months?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In diabetic individuals it could worsen drastically say within months too.

Customer:

I see, I have also problems with my eyelids not closing completely during sleep which causes to very painful dry eye in the morning.

Customer:

does this has anything to do with it, or that's different?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would help to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist at this stage so as to confirm whether the halos are due to corneal edema or due to cataract.

Customer:

I see, could there be a third factor other than those two?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Incomplete closure of the eye during sleep at night is called nocturnal lagophthalmos. Yes, it could contribute to corneal edema and dry eyes both.

Customer:

Is it painful to treat corneal edema or early cataract? I mean, does it require surgery?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For the dry eyes you could start putting lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Corneal edema is not a disease per se and is one of the findings in many eye diseases. One needs to find the cause of corneal edema. It is painless and can be treated with medicines alone.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cataract is also painless and once formed surgery is the only option of treatment.

Customer:

thank god for that, how about early cataract, can that be treated without surgery?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, cataract can only be treated with surgery.

Customer:

Will I need to be awake seeing needles going into my eye for the surgery?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, modern cataract surgery is quite sophisticated and is done with anesthetic eye drops and quick phacoemulsification surgery.

Customer:

oh, so I won't be seeing a needle coming into my eye, right?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

yes

Customer:

I mean, the eye that is being operated, will be sort of temporarily blind during the operation

Customer:

oh, thank god for that.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are right. You will not go through any problem or see anything like needles or syringes .

Customer:

what would be your advice for a patient on how to pick the right doctor / hospital for such surgery. Do I need to look for specific qualification, or a specific device the hospital should have?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you have a teaching hospital nearby you could prefer that. But if not then you could chose the right doctor by reputation and years of experience.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any thing else that I can answer for you in this regard?

Customer:

no actually, you've been really helpful. Thank you so much.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

I'm going to choose "excellent", is this the right procedure after finishing the chat?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Exactly...Thank you and have a good day !

Customer:

you too.. many many thanks! :)

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince