Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had an aortic valve replacment in December 2005. About 3

Customer Question

I had an aortic valve replacment in December 2005. About 3 months following that surgery I developed endocarditis. I was treated with a battery of antibiotics including gentamicin. Immediately following the first IV treatment with the gentamicin I developed a severe headache, had equilibrium or balance problems and had severe nausea. I was treated with this antibiotic for nearly three months but never had an additional bad reaction. However since that event I have episodes of double vision that last about thirty seconds. I have fewer episodes lately but I still have them about 3-4 times a month, Are there available treatments for this condition?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you had any workup over the years for these brief episodes of double vision you have been experiencing?

Dr. Rick :

Other then the double vision, do you have any other symptoms when this occurs?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Have you had any workup over the years for these brief episodes of double vision you have been experiencing?
Dr. Rick : Other then the double vision, do you have any other symptoms when this occurs?
Dr. Rick : Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have type II diabetes - well controlled (actos 15/850). Other than that I a pretty healthy.

As far as other symptoms during the double vision episodes- I due experience a slight feeling of imbalance or dizziness just second before the double vision starts. These episodes - go away in about 10 to 30 seconds.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
First of all, yes, there are treatments available for this condition.

If you have already not done so, you should have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist or a neuro-ophthalmologist to see if the underlying issue causing your symptoms can be found.

Once this is accomplished I am sure that you can be helped.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.