eyedoctor29
eyedoctor29, Optometrist
Experience:  I have been an optometrist since 2003. I have a private practice, and I work closely with eye surgeons and other specialists.
72947626

My eyes have been swollen and irritated for a while, much like

Customer Question

My eyes have been swollen and irritated for a while, much like an allergic reaction. My nose and sinuses also get congested.
I've changed face care products, changing over to hypo-allergenic Almay products. On occasion I have not used the Almy eye liner and shadow.
Over the last 3 days or so it's felt like I have something in my eye.
Today it was very bad. Swollen eyes and it felt like I had sand in them, particularly the right one.
I just washed my eyes with Ocuvite in an attempt to get the "sand" out of them. It didn't work.
I took a look and i have a cluster of small white bumps, much like pimples, inside my lower eyelid. There also is one on the lid itself that resembles a sty, although I've never had one.
My eyes burn, they're still swollen, and it feels like I have something in them.
What can this be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you wear contacts? Do your eyes itch?
JACUSTOMER-ivsjvtbx- :

No, and no

JACUSTOMER-ivsjvtbx- :

They burn and it feels like I have something in them

Doctor DanB : I'm sorry for the delay. There have been some difficulties on both the customer and my end seeing each other's answers and I was only now able to see your answers.
Doctor DanB : The most common reason for the eyes to be causing these symptoms is due to a dysfunctional tear film syndrome. The front of your eyes has a layer of tears coating it called the tear film (this layer of tears is different from the tears you produce when you cry or have an irritation in your eye). The tear film normally provides a healthy environment for the front of the eye (the cornea and conjunctiva) and also contributes significantly to clear vision. When the tear film is unstable or unhealthy (there are many reasons why this can be so, which I will get to) it becomes dysfunctional and can produce uncomfortable symptoms and blurry vision. This is called a dysfunctional tear film.People with a dysfunctional tear film can have multiple different symptoms ranging from redness, dull aching or pressure, sharp or stabbing pain, morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering to tearing, stinging, itching, burning, a gritty/foreign-body senstation or just intermittent vision fluctuations. Their symptoms sometimes get better as the day progresses or they can often times worsen throughout the day, but they can get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving. A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Any kind of eye surgery can actually cause and/or worsen this Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out. Your symptoms sound consistent with blepharitis; I would recommend starting this treatment, while concurrently using artificial tears. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done. It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them. Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Expert:  eyedoctor29 replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to have the opportunity to help. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns that I have not addressed. The white spots you are seeing are likely styes and/or similar spots that are all related. Oil glands in the eyelids get congested. They clog, and these spots result. The oil glands make an oil that is secreted onto the surface of the eye as the surface, oily, layer of the tear film that coats the ocular surface. When these oil glands are congested our tears evaporate quickly and the eyes become easily irritated.
Warm compresses on closed eyelids at least twice daily for 3-5 minutes at a time followed by preservative free artificial tear eye drops (Optive Sensitive). Take omega three fatty acid supplements like fish oil. You should start to see improvement quickly.
The condition you have basically falls into the category of ocular surface disease. It is also referred to as evaporative dry eye. This is extremely common, under-diagnosed, and under-treated. As your ocular surface improves you should notice that your eyes begin to feel much better, don't get irritated as easily by wind, make-up, etc, and your vision may improve, and you may not notice fluctuations in your vision as much especially when doing visually intense tasks such as reading, working on a computer, or driving for extended periods of time.