Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have glaucoma. Recently I went to see the dermatologist

I have glaucoma. Recently I went to see the dermatologist and she prescribed Claritan in the a.m. and 10 mg of Atarax at bedtime for horrible itching on my eyelids. I've just been reading up on side effects of these medications and warnings about taking it with glaucoma.

I recently saw my opthomologist and she saw my red eylids and did not say anything about not taking the above medications

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Yes I am available

Doctor DanB : Neither of these medications should cause a problem with your glaucoma. Do you have any other questions about this?

It just concerned me because after my eye exam the doctor said she was going to prescribe drops in the near future. After reading about the side effects of claritan and atarax it concerned me. I rarely take medication

Doctor DanB : I can certainly understand your concern. But I can tell you that neither of these medications will cause a problem with the glaucoma, either now or in the future.

Just wanted to know if these two drugs would cause more side effects. Thanks for your reply