eyedoctor29
eyedoctor29, Optometrist
Experience:  I have been an optometrist since 2003. I have a private practice, and I work closely with eye surgeons and other specialists.
72947626

NOTE: this is a gen medical or endocrin. question, not eye!

Hello, I am a hyperthyroid patient and was diagnosed 11 months ago. Since then, I have been on ever decreasing amounts of Tapazole - my daily dosage is currently 5 mg. I had what the doctor ID'd as a winter virus a couple of weeks ago and accompanying congestion, sneezing, runny eyes, etc. It seems to have gone away but, as of yesterday, I now have a slightly sore throat, but mostly "scratchy" and dry, for lack of a better way of describing it. I have no fever and the odd feeling in my throat is relieved with Ricola. Do I need to worry about this being agranulocytosis?

eyedoctor29 :

I am happy to have the opportunity to help. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns that I have not addressed. No. Agranulocytosis is a very rare condition often associated

eyedoctor29 :

with fever.

Customer:

Thanks! I don't have insurance right now so have to pay at least 100 bucks every time I go to see the doctor...It has been drilled into my head by my endocrinologists that I am always to be careful if I get a sore throat because Tapazole is linked to Agranulocytosis. But I guess this is not the kind of sore throat they are talking about? I definitely don't have a fever. In the future, are you telling me that it would only be Agrandulocytosis usually only if I spike a fever? Also, my Tap dosage is pretty low, I guess, to have something like that?

Customer:

I mean, perhaps it was erroneous information I read online, but I read somewhere that Agrandulocytosis really only can occur when people are on upwards of 15 mg Tapazole per day.

eyedoctor29 :

You can have agranulocytosis without fever. It can happen even on low doses. And you should be very careful to seek prompt attention if your sore throat persists or worsens.

Customer:

Should I seek medical attention now, then?

Customer:

I also have a cough.

eyedoctor29 :

Yes. But don't worry. A simple blood test will determine quickly if you have agranulocytosis. And it can be treated effectively if that is the case.

Customer:

Would it be OK if I waited until tomorrow morning to seek medical attention?

Customer:

It is evening here.

Customer:

And the throat is more scratchy/very dry than sore. Not sure if that matters or not.

eyedoctor29 :

If you have agranulocytosis, the sooner it is discovered and treated the better.

Customer:

Does it generally present as a scratchy/dry throat, or only sore?

eyedoctor29 :

And the only way to know for sure is to do a blood test. Presentation of throat symptoms can be quite variable.

Customer:

OK. Thanks!

eyedoctor29 :

It makes sense that you throat symptoms are just a result of your recent illness. But, in light of the Tapazole, agranulocytosis must be ruled out.

Customer:

thanks so much.

eyedoctor29 :

You are very welcome.