Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a recurring eye condition and am under treatment for

I have a recurring eye condition and am under treatment for dry eye. I am diligent with cleaning the lids morning and night and use drops to keep the eyes from getting too dry.
When my stress levels are high - maybe two or three times a year, I will get blepharitus and need to take additional Rx's to treat it. When this flares up I will try to do compresses and start the rx's only after I am sure it is going to need them. I try to be conservative in the treatment so that these rx's will continue to resolve the problem.
Once the eye lid is stuck together in the morning I know I must do my seven day treatment and continue with compresses.
I am wondering if there is anything natural I can use to keep the corners of my eye from getting so itchy and dry. I already take a daily 24 hr allergy pill and as a preventative I take Oracea. That is usually every other day but take it every day when this flares up. I do have an ointment for nighttime CILOXAN and also one I can use just for the cracks that can form at the outside of the lid- FML but use that rarely and it cannot get into the eye.

I have been through this so many times my eye dr just allows me to begin the RX
when I know it is not just going to clear up by itself. She only has me come in when or if that rx regime doesn't clear it up. Usually after one or two days it is pretty drastically improved but I will keep it up the whole 7 days.

Any advice you could add to this treatment will be appreciated greatly.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

thank you for your excellent history. I have to admit, you are already doing everything possible to take care of your condition, with the exception of placement of punctal plugs.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to say that that only other advice I can offer to your current therapy would be to consult with a corneal/external disease specialist -- if you have not done so already.

Dr. Rick :

At this point, I am sure that your ophthalmologist has done a very through examination and workup looking for all treatable or contributory issues that you may have. That being said, sometimes gathering up your medical records and having a new doctor, especially a cornea specialist, review your situation can shed new light on things.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : thank you for your excellent history. I have to admit, you are already doing everything possible to take care of your condition, with the exception of placement of punctal plugs.
Dr. Rick : I'm sorry to say that only other advice I can offer to your current therapy would be to consult with a corneal/external disease specialist -- if you have not done so already.
Dr. Rick : At this point, I am sure that your ophthalmologist has done a very through examination and workup looking for all treatable or contributory issues that you may have. That being said, sometimes gathering up your medical records and having a new doctor, especially a cornea specialist, review your situation can shed new light on things.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest