Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My 12 y/o son has eye pain. I checked for PEARL, and noticed

My 12 y/o son has eye pain. I checked for PEARL, and noticed his pupils would dilate and constrict rapidly even with light

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : What kind of pain is this? Is it dull, burning, sharp, gritty, or aching? Is the vision changed? Are the eyes red and light sensitive?
Customer: His pupils constrict and dilate even with light. He says his eyes hurt when they move?
Doctor DanB : So if you shine a light in the pupils they dilate?
Customer: Eyes are not red

yes. but, they constrict almost as fast as they dilate. Both pupils do this at the same time.

He was complaining of headache this morning, but said since then, headache has gone away. Just eye pain and weird movement of pupils

Doctor DanB : The reaction of his pupils that you are describing sounds very normal for a young person; this is called hippus. If his eyes are not red, they are not light sensitive, and the vision is not changed significantly, I am not concerned for significant infection or inflammation. It's quite likely his eyes are dry or irritated and artificial tear use would help this. However, if he has been feeling ill lately or is getting ill, the eyes can be painful when they move just from having a viral illness. Does that make sense?

Yes. I will try the Visine. Thank you for your time and I will leave positive feed back!

Doctor DanB : Thank you and hope he feels better! Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!