Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr. Rick helped me with some answers regarding my friends

Dr. Rick helped me with some answers regarding my friend's eye surgery. Where is Dr. Rick located and would he be able to testify as to the information provided?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Sorry I've not been available online....I came down with the nasty flu that is going around and have been in bed for the last two days :(

Dr. Rick :

I am located in the North Central part of the USA.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick: So sorry to hear you have been under the weather. We too have had a bad flu season here in Texas.

Customer:

A friend of ours, Alfred Altamirano, had cataract surgery done in both eyes. The left eye surgery went well and turned out beautifully. The right eye surgery took the Dr. three times as long to perform the surgery and left Alfred blind. The hospital report shows that celestone and garamycin were injected subconjunctivally using retrobulbar anesthesia. What happens if celestone were inadvertently injected into the vitreous cavity? Please elaborate your answer.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Celestone is a steroid and, while it is not a formulation that I would normally inject into the vitreous cavity, I do not believe the drug itself would damage the eyeball.

That being said, an inadvertent intraocular injection can cause significant ocular damage including retinal detachment, increased intra ocular pressure due to the volume of medicine injected, loss of blood flow to the globe etc. This error would require immediate attention to minimize severe ocular damage.

Garamycin injected into the eye would cause irreversible blindness.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You advised us that garamycin if injected wrong will cause blindness or permanent optic nerve damage. This is the case with Alfred. Would you be able to provide a written statement signed by you to be presented to my lawyer stating the details about what garamycin will do. Alfred is willing to pay you for your time and service.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Gloria,

I am very sorry to hear about what happened to Alfred.

Unfortunately, with this web site we are not allowed, by contract, to become personally involved with patients.

I am flattered that you would like me to assist you with this very difficult issue. That being said, almost any ophthalmologist would be able to review Alfred's clinical notes and operative report, examine his eye and write you a notarized statement of her findings for the Court,as well as testify under oath to these findings in Open Court if necessary.

I would be happy to assist you in locating a well trained ophthalmologist in your area should your attorney have difficulty finding one.

I wish you and Alfred the very best.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you during these difficult times.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know of an ophthalmologist that would be able to do this statement for Alfred? Please provide name, address and phone number. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
What city/state is Alfred located in?

He would have to be examined and insurance will not cover this exam or the cost of the letter.

I will be happy to help you find a ophthalmologist in your area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is located in San Antonio, TX.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
This eye doctor is very well respected and the Court would listed to his opinion:

Dr. John A. Campagna, MD
Ophthalmology XXXXXSuite 400, San Antonio, TX 78205 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(Office)

If Dr Campanga is not able to see Alfred in a timely fashion, you can contact any of the Professors of Ophthalmology at UTHSCSA:

http://www.uthscsa.edu/eye/clinicalcare.asp

I wish Alfred the very best.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD