Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had Catarac surgery on both eyes and got the AcrySof IQ

I had Catarac surgery on both eyes and got the AcrySof IQ Restor lens implant. I can read well without glasses but my vision for distance, lights has gotten worse. I also get cloudy vision and web like lines in my vision. Could it be that I got defective lenses? My doctor suggest laser surgery after my eyes heal fully from the implants. Would it be wrong to go and get another opinion?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long ago was your surgery?

Customer:

Almost 8 weeks

Dr. Rick :

From the drops your doctor has suggested it sounds like you have dry eyes. This is very common after cataract surgery.

Customer:

Yes I know about dry eyes but my concern is will that cause the other problems that I mentioned. Mainly my implants.

Dr. Rick :

Also, the laser treatment he is talking about is a YAG laser posterior capsulotomy. If the "bag" that holds your lenses in place has "wrinkles etc" in it this could also be the cause of your symptoms. Cutting this with the laser is a good way to solve this problem, but you have to wait 90 days after cataract surgery to do a YAG

Dr. Rick :

I very, very much doubt that you got defective implants. In over 20 years I've never seen a defective lens even once.

Dr. Rick :

I've seen them with obvious defects like a broken haptic, but nothing that you would miss on inspection of the lens prior to putting it in the eyes.

Dr. Rick :

If you don't trust your surgeon then, yes, it is perfectly reasonable to go to another eye surgeon for a second opinion.

Customer:

What could be the reason for the sensivity to light. Car lights are now tripled as well as street and traffic.

Dr. Rick :

That can be from dryness of your eyes, blepharitis, or wrinkles in the posterior capsule.

Customer:

Is it common procedure to leave in some of the catarac during surgery?

Dr. Rick :

No. All of the cataract is removed. You never leave some behind.

Customer:

My doctor told me that he intentionlly leaves some of the catarac in the eye.

Dr. Rick :

That makes no sense at all. That is not something that is done. I'm not sure what he was talking about, unless it was that the capsule was very cloudy (and this would cause your symptoms) and he didn't mess with it so that he would not break it.......

Customer:

It made no sense to me either. I guess I need to see another doctor.

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like your best course of action.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

Thank You this has been a big help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Hi Barbara,

I was just thinking about you and wondering what the new ophthalmologist you consulted with thought about your eyes.

I hope everything is OK and an easy solution to your visual problems is at hand.

Take care.

DrRick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your inquiry and the information that you gave me. I have not seen a doctor yet. I am trying to get an apointment with a specialist and hope to do that next week. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again!

Barbara,

Drop me a note when you find out what is going on. Take care and have a good weekend.