Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i recently was told by my optometrist that i have very high

i recently was told by my optometrist that i have very high eye pressures like 24 in left and 32 in right eye. he wants me to start drops right away in right eye but i have a gut feeling i should consult an ophthalmologist before starting down this road. would that be the most prudent thing to do.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There is a lot more to diagnosing glaucoma then reading the eye pressure.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with you: Do not allow the optometrist to treat you for "glaucoma" but rather consult with an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

While many state Optometry Boards have given optometrists the "legal right" to "treat" glaucoma, I do not feel that they have enough training to manage this possibly blinding disease.

Dr. Rick :

Good Evening and welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

I see you are typing. I will standby

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : There is a lot more to diagnosing glaucoma then reading the eye pressure.
Dr. Rick : I agree with you: Do not allow the optometrist to treat you for "glaucoma" but rather consult with an ophthalmologist.
Dr. Rick : While many state Optometry Boards have given optometrists the "legal right" to "treat" glaucoma, I do not feel that they have enough training to manage this possibly blinding disease.
Dr. Rick : Good Evening and welcome to chat.
Dr. Rick : Are you there?
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i submitted one additional question if possible to answer it i would rate our conversation and we would be done

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I am still here if you have any further questions.

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.

Your other question did not come through. Could you please retype it here....

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was trying to determine if there is a way to find an opthalmologist in the des moines, iowa area that specializes in glaucoma

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is.

There are many, many ophthalmologists in Des Moines. You can ask your primary care MD for a name, speak to friends and family or just use Mr Google...

Here is a well trained ophthalmologist who has been in practice for over two decades. Dr. Evans would be more then qualified to help you with your glaucoma issues.

http://downtowneye.net/about-us.html

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest