Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For a few weeks my cheeks and nose have been red and a little

For a few weeks my cheeks and nose have been red and a little swollen, I assumed it was rosatha(?). Then about a week ago my eyes started burning as well as my face and an area between my breats. So last night I took a 24hour, non drowsy allergy pill. I woke up to the same symptoms, no relief in any area and now feel this burning in other parts of my body. Can you please tell me what it could be and is it contageous. ? The burning on my face and eyes is terrible.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

Have you ever had this before?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any difficulty breathing or swallowing?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

I do bite inside my mouth, it's a habit I have had since I was lettlle. The slight burning usually lasts one day. I get rosati on my nose, but never red across both cheeks. By the way, the burning sansation goes down my throat and is now across my chest and random places on my body. I don't have a fever, but the burning is horrible and my eyes are swollen and really burning.

Dr. Rick :

This sounds like a fairly serious allergic reaction. I am concerned about the sensations you have going down your throat at this point......

Customer:

Also, at 6pm last night I took a 24hour non drowsy allergy pill and when I just woke up I feel as bad, if not worse than yesterday.

Dr. Rick :

What is causing this? It could be a bazillion things. But, at this point , I think the most important thing is for you to get it evaluated before things progress.

Dr. Rick :

It seems that your issue will require stronger therapy then an OTC allergy pill. Perhaps a steroid injection.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted, and seeing as today is Sunday, I think your best course of action would be to have someone drive you to the ER for evaluation and management.

Customer:

I am on vacation visiting my son and don't wish to be a nunance. Do you think that this is just a terrible allergy or more serious ?

Dr. Rick :

I think you are having some sort of allergic reaction, to what? Who knows. But it seems to be severe enough to warrant medical management.

Dr. Rick :

As a son myself, I am sure he will understand :-)

Customer:

Do you think that whatever this is I am not contageous ?

Dr. Rick :

It does not sound like a viral infection/ contagious issue. That being said, I've seen reactions like your turn life threatening in a flash....better safe then sorry.

Customer:

One more question, the burning in other parts of my body, is it still the reaction ? (Like my arms, etc)

Dr. Rick :

Yes, that could very much be part of the same issue.

Dr. Rick :

I believe that, at this point, trying to manage this issue at home with OTC medications is not the best way to proceed. Time to consult with a doctor.

Customer:

and, again, you don't think that continuing the pills i have taken will help as I hate to disrupt the day, you know how long it takes in the hospital

Dr. Rick :

I understand how long you may have to wait in the ER on a Sunday and how it may mess up your day but, if this progresses to the point where you have problems breathing -- and my fear is that it could do get worse and do that with very little notice -- that will mess up your day even worse.

Dr. Rick :

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information

Customer:

thank you very much, I appreciate your help. I guess that I'm going to have to see someone.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good plan. Give my best to your Son and enjoy your visit. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

knowing what i told you what type of treatment should i receive when i see a doctor ?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
The doctor will do a complete physical examination along with some blood tests. Depending on what is found on exam she might also do some imaging studies like x ray etc.

If it seems to be a bad allergic reaction, as I suspect, then you will probably be given either an IV or IM (in the muscle)shot of a strong steroid to stop the reaction you are having. You might also be given steroid pills to take at home for a brief period of time.

Of course, if there is an infection or something else going on the treatment will be directed toward any underlying problem(s) found.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bonnie,

I found myself thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing. Did you go to the ER on Sunday? If so, what did the doctor find?

I hope you are feeling better and enjoying your visit with your Son. Take care.

DrRick MD FACS