Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Ive been battling pink eye for several months now. Ive been

Customer Question

I've been battling pink eye for several months now. I've been on three different antibotics, and it doesn't seem to clear up or go away. The eye doctor has just prescribed Alrex for five days, and wants me to return to see if there has been any improvements. I can tell you that I'm on my 2nd day of ALREX and my eyes are still red. I've never had pink eye when I was a kid, but now I'm getting worried sense it has lasted for about 3 months now. I'm now experiencing diarrhea for the last two days and I'm starting to worry something else is wrong. The Dr. is unsure what is going on, and it's starting to worry me. Any advice?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. As you might be able to understand, it would be difficult to definitively diagnose what is happening with you when I cannot even examine you, especially compared to other eye doctors who have been able to examine you. However, what I can tell you is that one of the most common disease processes that is mistaken for pinkeye is called blepharitis. It is an inflammation of the eyelids which often manifests in red, burning, painful and or otherwise symptomatic eyes. Let me elaborate...
Doctor DanB : Blepharitis is so incredibly common and can come in many different varieties, severities, and presentations.  It can cause any of the following symptoms: burning, itching, discharge, tearing, dry or gritty feeling, foreign-body sensation, light-sensitivity, redness, pain and/or blurry vision.  For some who have blepharitis, they don't have any of these symptoms but can still have the inflammation.  Because this is so incredibly common and also because I can't examine you, I would recommend starting the treatment for blepharitis.  In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done. It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.  Any artificial tear without this redness-reliever chemical in them should be fine; some brand name examples that my patients like using are Refresh, Systane, Blink, Optive.  Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. There are many reasons for dry eye besides blepharitis that one person can have at the same time. If you are a person that doesn't make their own tears very well, then you may also benefit from a prescription drop called Restasis, which actually modulates a person's immune system to help them make more of their own tears. This drop actually requires constant usage on a daily basis for up to 10-12 weeks before its effect kicks in (takes awhile to change the immune response in the body).  You may also need an antibiotic/steroid combination drop if the inflammation has not significantly calmed down after 2-3 weeks.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Doctor DanB : Any questions about this?
Customer:

It does make sense, and I forgot to tell you that when I was first diagnosed with Pinkeye, the Urgent Care Dr. gave me the most commonly used eyedrops to fight the pinkeye for ten days...I forgot the name of it. After a Month, I went back to the same Dr. and he then recommended Gentamicin, and the condition seem to worsen after 7 days. I couldn't take it anymore and went to the emergency room and the Dr. on call recommended that I see an Opthamologist and he prescribed an steriod to help with the inflamation. The next day I went to the Opthamologist, and he question why somebody would prescribe Gentamicin because it was like throwing gasoline on a fire he said, so he prescribed Zylet for 10 days. The condition didn't improve so I went back two days ago, and now he has prescribed ALREX. When he prescribed the Zylet he said to only use it in the right eye because the left eye appeared to clear, but after four days I had to put it in both eyes because the redness was coming back in the left. I seemed to have a lot of sticky discharge in the corner of the eyes throughout the day, and sometimes a throbbing or twitching condition occurs. The pain is not severe, but noticeable...not like a headache, but more like a discomfort until I rub my eyes. People are starting to comment that i look tired, and my eyes are so bloodshot. It really has me concerned!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology