Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

THE OPHTHALMOLOGIST I SAW TOLD ME I HA E CORNEAL DYSTROPHY-

THE OPHTHALMOLOGIST I SAW TOLD ME I HA E CORNEAL DYSTROPHY- PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT EXACTLY THAT MEANS IS HAPPENING TO MY EYES?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of corneal dystrophies. Fuch's corneal dystrophy is a common one.

Dr. Rick :

Do you know what he called it?

Dr. Rick :

Given the drops you are using I would expect that you are suffering from Fuch's.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : There are a number of corneal dystrophy's. Fuch's corneal dystrophy is a common one.
Dr. Rick : Do you know what he called it?
Dr. Rick : Given the drops you are using I would expect that you are suffering from Fuch's.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?

Does this sound like the condition the doctor talked about with you?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Patricia,

I do not understand why you have given me a poor rating :(

All I have done is try to communicate with you and obtain more information so that I can give you an informed answer. Your actions are not very nice.

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

forget it-you're not answering my specific question!!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
As I stated I do not have enough information to know what your question is. There is more then one corneal dystrophy in the world.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WHEN THE DOCTOR FIRST PRESCRIBED THE MURO 128 & SAID I HAD CORNEAL DYSTROPHY -HE WROTE ON THE PAPER -ANTERIOR BASEMENT MEMBRANE CORNEAL DYSTROPHY-RECRRENT EROSIONS-THEN I WENT BACK TO HIM - NOWHE'S TOLD ME I ALSO HAVE BLEPHARITIS- I'M VERY CONFUSED & UPSET -PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS ACTUALLY GOING ON & IF THIS ALL IS SERIOUS ENOUGH TO REQUIRE EYE SURGERY?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that additional information. I now understand what is going on with your eye.

You are suffering from what is known as Map-Dot-Fingerprint dystrophy, also knows as Cogan's dystrophy.

This is one of the most common anterior corneal dystrophy's out there and usually is a genetic condition that runs in families.

In a nutshell, what happens is that the skin on your eyeball (cornea) is not "stuck" on normally and it comes off. When this happens you get blurry vision and, sometimes, pain.

There are a number of treatments available for this condition and the drops you are using are the first line therapy. If they don't work for you then the skin can be scraped off your cornea and, hopefully, it will heal back better. Patching can also help.

If this doesn't work then surgery can be done (anterior stromal puncture, PTK)

As far as your blepharitis is concerned, this is a separate thing. For this condition I suggest you do some simple home therapy:

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Patricia,

Your positive feedback will erase your prior negative comments about the service I have given you today.

Thank you and I hope you feel better soon.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It does not sound like you are going to need any eye surgery for this issue.