Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up from a nap today and there was a lot of pressure

I woke up from a nap today and there was a lot of pressure behind (it feels like it's coming from behind) my left eye, so much that it felt like my eye might come out. My vision was affected as well; that eye seemed "misaligned" with the other eye, and I couldn't see straight without covering one eye. My vision in the affected eye was also slightly blurrier than usual. It's been a few minutes since I got out of bed and the pressure is slightly better. I've been ill with first a cold virus, then sinusitis (I assume, I didn't see a doctor at that point,) and an ear infection, which I did see a doctor for, for roughly the past 16 days. I've been on antibiotics for the ear infection for 3 days, and I still experience facial pressure and the pressure behind my eye and a little behind the other eye. I figure the pressure could be because of sinusitis, but I've never experienced anything to this degree before. Should I see another doctor immediately, or should I wait it out and hope that the antibiotics relieve my sinusitis and eye pressure?
Thank you!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If you cover your good eye does the double vision go away?

Customer:

Yes, it does.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, it sounds like you may have a cranial nerve palsy causing weakness to on of the muscles that move your eyeball. This can occur with viral infections.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? It resolves without permanent damage in the vast majority of cases?

Dr. Rick :

The bad new? It can take up to 3 months to go away.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, it is a good idea to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist to make sure nothing else is going on.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

That is good news, thanks. Is there anything I can do until the cranial nerve palsy goes away? Is there any way to prevent damage? And I will schedule an appointment with an opthamologist. Thank you for the advice.

Dr. Rick :

You can cover one eye with a patch to get rid of the double vision. There is no need to worry about damage from a nerve palsy since it resolves just fine....just make sure to confirm with an eye MD that this is what is going on.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick