Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I have redness and swelling in my right eye. I dont believe

I have redness and swelling in my right eye. I don't believe it's pink eye, because I've had that and this feels a bit different. When I look in certain directions, it causes immediate pain, like a sore muscle feeling, in my eye. I was wondering what it could be and if there were some simple at-home remedies I could use.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Okay, great. Thank you.

Dr. Tom :

Before we get started May I ask a couple of additional questions?

Customer:

Certainly.

Dr. Tom :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX redness you describe limited to just the white of your eye or does it affect the eyelid, and is the swelling of both the white of your eye and the eyelid. Also has there been any reduction in your normal quality of vision.

Customer:

The redness is mainly in the corner of my eye, but my eyelid is a bit pinker and puffier on the outside than my left eye. No reduction of vision. I do wear contacts, but I took them out for the time being.

Dr. Tom :

Is there any itching in either of your eyes and have you had a recent upper respiratory tract infection?

Customer:

No.

Dr. Tom :

Were you wearing contacts when this current problem started? Or had you had them out for a while?

Customer:

The pain started yesterday evening, but there was no redness, so I didn't think anything of it. I've had my contacts out all day today, though.

Dr. Tom :

Okay give me a minute to type out some thoughts and then we can continue with any questions you might have.

Customer:

Alrighty, sounds good.

Customer:

Hello?

Dr. Tom :

The sore muscle feeling you describe can often be associated with a low-grade viral inflammation, just as we get aches and pains in our muscles with influenza. But your primary complaint of redness and swelling does suggest several possibilities. In a contact lens wearer, we often find mild, allergic like responses to contact lens overwear, and also there is a possibility of a mild corneal erosion, scratch or even a small ulcer getting started. If this were a viral pink eye is more likely that there would be more generalized conjunctival redness than you have been describing in your post or in our dialogue. And it certainly doesn't sound bacterial. So without being able to do a proper examination, one would surmise that you have a mild contact lens related problem that should be checked out by your ophthalmologist. However, you asked for some simple at-home remedies, and one of the best at this point is to ensure that your eyes are well lubricated by using an over-the-counter artificial teardrop, Systane used three or four times a day. Additionally cold moist compresses are usually very soothing. Does this make sense so far and do you have any other questions?

Customer:

Yes, it sort of makes sense.

Customer:

I have one more question.

Dr. Tom :

Absolutely go right ahead

Customer:

I just got some new glasses, and I've been trying to wear them more often, but my eyes aren't used to them yet, causing me to take them off mid day. Would that have anything to do with it?

Dr. Tom :

Yes it's possible that some fatigue from getting used to new glasses could play a role, but it worries me that this is essentially limited to one eye and you describe this pain when you look in certain directions. That really doesn't go along with getting used to new glasses. On the other hand I would certainly suggest you stick to your glasses, and not go back to contacts, until you get this current problem straightened out. If you have no other questions I'd like to thank you very much for allowing me to chat with you, and ask that you rate our conversation by clicking the big smiling face before you check out. Let me hear from you again if there is anything else you'd like to ask.

Customer:

Alright. Thank you very much for your time!

Dr. Tom :

You're welcome best wishes

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems