eyedoctor29
eyedoctor29, Optometrist
Experience:  I have been an optometrist since 2003. I have a private practice, and I work closely with eye surgeons and other specialists.

Are eye floaters safely treatable? And is vitrectomy (just

Are eye floaters safely treatable? And is vitrectomy (just for floaters) safe?

Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon and get asked this question frequently.

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Here is a video of the actual surgery to remove floaters:

http://www.retinavitreous.com/video%20files/intro_floaters.html

Dr. Rick :

If your vision is OK I would not recommend taking the risks involved with vitrectomy surgery to remove your annoying floaters. That being said, I did surgery just last week for the sole purpose of getting rid of floaters, but this patient was hindered in her job (commercial airline pilot) by the floaters -- they sometimes looked like small aircraft coming at her from the side :(

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am a retina surgeon and get asked this question frequently.
Dr. Rick : What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick : If your vision is OK I would not recommend taking the risks involved with vitrectomy surgery to remove your annoying floaters. That being said, I did surgery just last week for the sole purpose of getting rid of floaters, but this patient was hindered in her job (commercial airline pilot) by the floaters -- they sometimes looked like small aircraft coming at her from the side :(
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick :
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please I need answers to these questons:

What are the risks of vitrectomy?

I have read that they do vitrectomy in Europe with success; any comments?

What about laser? It is also being done in the USA

Thanks in advance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Rick for your answer

I have accidentally pressed on "Block answers from this expert or something similar" last night which I did not mean it. Please accept my apology. I do appreciate your answer but I thought vitrectomy or laser should be something easy nowadays for treating floaters considering other more serious eye

disorders are being treated safely (please see my other follow-up questions).

Thank you again

Regards

Mohammed

Expert:  eyedoctor29 replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to have the opportunity to help. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns that I have not addressed.

Most notably, if the doctors that you have seen have failed to make you feel comfortable with their advice, I would find another doctor. It very helpful to have an established relationship with a great doctor. That being said, floaters are almost always a major annoyance. They are rarely associated with any danger. Associated retinal problems must be ruled out, and continual monitor is advised. Vitrectomy is almost always associated with very good results. However, vitrectomy is only advised if the symptoms are long-standing and very bothersome. I would give it 6-12 months before I would consider any intervention. Floaters almost always become much less bothersome over time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply (It does make sense).

Any comment(s) on laser treatment? Please check out "VitreousFloatersSolutions.com" or 'EyeFloaters.com".

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Regards

Laser treatment is very effective, and very low risk.
eyedoctor29, Optometrist
Experience: I have been an optometrist since 2003. I have a private practice, and I work closely with eye surgeons and other specialists.