Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been having disturbed vision in my right eye for 1 day.

I have been having disturbed vision in my right eye for 1 day. I see "floaters" and am experiencing some blurred vision in that eye along with a sensation of swelling. I am 62 F with history of high blood pressure. My BP was 143/71 yesterday after light house duties. This reading is a little high for me. (Previous 120ish/60ish). Do I need to seek medical help the day before my vacation?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Tell me a little bit more about the blurred vision. Are you able to read (while wearing your usual glasses) with the affected eye? How about see objects in the distance?

Customer:

Distant vision seem ok. But close up vision is blurred. i wear glasses with bifocals and my prescription is only a few months old.

Dr. Rick :

Does it seem like your central vision up close is blurred more then the vision in other areas?

Dr. Rick :

Also, where are you going on your vacation (are there going to be MDs available....) and for how long?

Customer:

no. general blurred all around.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well the floaters are not a real problem. That is most likely from a posterior vitreous detachment....here is some information on this condition:

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

However, a PVD does not usually cause blurry vision.......

Dr. Rick :

So, because of the change in vision, and since you are leaving on vacation tomorrow, the safest thing to do would be to see an ophthalmologist today to be sure....if for nothing else than the peace of mind this would give you.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, I call my eye doctor today. thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Enjoy your trip.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Hi Judy,

I was just thinking about you today and wondering what your ophthalmologist found on Thursday. I hope everything is OK and you are now basking on a deserted beach somewhere in the South Pacific :-)