Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a left eye infection viral and it is bloodshot and always

I have a left eye infection viral and it is bloodshot and always very blurred and I get headaches.I have had this since 3rd Jan 2013 and been taking eye drops Chloramphenicol for five days given by my GP but found it contained mercury to which I am allergic.The eye did not improve so I was given Fucithalmic eye drops by my GP and been taking these for two days but still no improvement.What more can I do please.I appear to have got this infection from being in a draught at night.My GP took a swab and it showed very bad infection.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did your GP tell you what organism was found on the swab?

Customer:

GP said it was a form of conjunctivitis bacterial

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Fucithalmic acid is not a very powerful drug for killing bacteria. I think you should stop this medicine and start using a fluoroquinolone class of antibiotic, which works a lot better.

Dr. Rick :

There are a few medicines in this class. Quixin is one brand name. You would use one drop 4x/day for 7 days

Dr. Rick :

Also, since you are not improving it might be time to "switch horses" and consult with an ophthalmologist. In my town the GPs and I have an agreement: I will not do heart attacks if they don't treat eyes lol!

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Would you know what the ingredients and side effects of fluoroquinolone drops are please as I like to know what I am putting in my eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Let me grab a bottle.....be right back.

Dr. Rick :

OK. Quixin contains, of course, the medicine levofloxacin .5% along with the inactive ingredients and Preservative: benzalkonium chloride 0.005%;Inactives: sodium chloride and water. May also contain hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

Dr. Rick :

No mercury......

Dr. Rick :

In my experience, other then slight redness, there are no real side effects of this medicine although the PDR, of course, lists a number of them....but they are rare.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a webpage that discusses every possible side effect. I'd not worry too much about all of these as, clinically, they don't occur very often.....

Dr. Rick :

http://www.rxlist.com/quixin-drug/patient-images-side-effects.htm

Dr. Rick :

and what you are currently going through is worse then these issues.....

Customer:

I dont know what levofloxacin is but it sounds very strong with hcl and benzalkonium chloride

Dr. Rick :

the HCl only makes the pH normal. There is no real acid effect in it.

Dr. Rick :

The benzalkonium chloride is a preservative that is in almost every eye drop in the world

Dr. Rick :

levofloxacin will kill the vast majority of bacteria that would be causing your current problem.

Dr. Rick :

It is really used for much more serious eye infections then conjunctivitis but it will work for this also.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

It does not, like all antibiotics, work against a virus. But, as you said, your GP found that a bacteria is causing your issue. Quixin will work against that......

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

would my GP be able to prescribe these drops

Dr. Rick :

yes.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you this morning?

Dr. Rick :

It is 7:30am here in Wisconsin, although I know it is probably Afternoon on your side of the planet.......

Customer:

how would I say I found out about them to my GP so they would be prescribed

Dr. Rick :

Just tell him you chatted with an ophthalmologist in the USA. You can print out this chat and show it to him if you want by right clicking, press print. Or you could also right click, copy all, then paste into a word processing program then print.

Customer:

ok thanks very much for your advice and I will check them out.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seem to be quite a few side effects Would you know of any other drops that would not be quite as strong.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes. You could use ciprofloxacin, brand name ciloxan also at 4x/day for 7 days.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,

I was just thinking about you and wondering if the Quixin has started to clear things up yet. I hope you are feeling better. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you in the future.

Dr Rick MD FACS