Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello doctors, this morning i woke up with a horrible headache,

Hello doctors, this morning i woke up with a horrible headache, my nose is running like water, and my eyes (behind the eyes or something) hurt very bad, including pain in both my ears and some pain in my back teeth (not sure if this is related?). My temperature was 100.1F just a few minutes ago - I took it when I woke up just a few minutes ago, I was bundled under the blankets sleeping with socks and sweater, so i'm not sure that I have fever really either?

Should i worry about this being some bad strain of the flu? Or is this a cold?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How old are you?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

hello

Customer:

i have CPPS (chronic pelvic pain syndrome) I take rapaflo 8mg, and Elavil 10mg

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thank you for that information

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I'm afraid that you have come down with that nasty flu bug that is going around. It is so bad in the Boston area that the hospitals are out of rooms

Customer:

wow..

Customer:

is it necessary for me to go to the doctor?

Dr. Rick :

No, not as long as you can take it easy at home, eat Chicken soup etc, tylenol for pain and fever and drink a lot of fluids

Dr. Rick :

I actually just got over this flu last week. I had to cancel surgery and stay home for 4 days...and you know how much my nurses hate when I do that :(

Customer:

Am i allowed to mix tylenol with Elavil and Rapaflo? I believe Rapaflo is a siludosin and Elavil is Amitriptaline

Customer:

Ouch

Customer:

Can one get it by shaking someone elses hand that has it?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It usually passes from the air/sneezing but it can be from the hand too, especially if they have touched their nose before

Customer:

And lastly, the hurting behind my eyes - is that normal? Or is it because of a possible infection in my sinus?

Dr. Rick :

tylenol is ok to take with those meds

Dr. Rick :

That is most likely, as you've noted, from sinus involvement rather then anything to do with your eyes or orbits.

Customer:

Do i need anti-biotics?

Dr. Rick :

No. Since the flu is a virus antibiotics don't work against it. The only reason to take antibiotics is if you were one of the rare people who end up with a secondary bacterial infection.

Customer:

Got it, thats what I thought. Another doctor suggested I get a Z-pack etc..

Dr. Rick :

No. Just a waste of money and, in the long run, just breeds resistant bacteria.

Customer:

smart doctor, thank you for your time and consideration

Customer:

i appreciate it

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest