Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My right eye has had reoccurring inflammation for spans of

My right eye has had reoccurring inflammation for spans of 2-3 days at a time every 3 weeks. It never spreads to my left eye and has appeared with and without certain symptoms.

I have woken up to a red right eye which slowly became more red as the day went on but did not hurt, water, or produce any gunk at all. The redness was in all the tiny vessels, pretty evenly all over my entire eye and not a giant red spot.

I have woken up to a red right eye which was highly highly sensitive to light, the left eye which was unaffected also couldn't stand light, and it took 2 days of almost complete darkness before I was able to function normally. My eye still looked bad for nearly a week, but I could tolerate light.

I have been out with friends and my right eye transitioned from normal to completely bloodshot in a matter of an hour which continued to get worse and lasted for several days before going away.

Once again, my left eye remains completely normal. What is wrong with my eye? Why is it reoccurring, sometimes painful sometimes not, and only in 1 eye?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear glasses? If so, are they plus powered or minus powered (are you near or are you far sighted?)

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : Do you wear glasses? If so, are they plus powered or minus powered (are you near or are you far sighted?)

Also, have you seen an ophthalmologist for this issue?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you here?

Yes. We can "chat" right here.

Did you see my questions? Let me copy them here again just in case:

Dr. Rick : are you available to chat?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure if my last response sent or not.

I wear glasses and contacts. I am near sighted. I very rarely sleep in my contacts and when I do it's always an accident. But, some days I do wear my contacts for 12+ hours a day. This has never been an issue in the past. Since this problem started (about 2 or so months ago) I have been wearing my glasses more than usual (3 days a week) and contacts less. I have not seen an ophthalmologist about this issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

right eye, affected eye

Nope.....the first time you sent that response I think the Gremlins ate it :(

Got it now, though.....

Thanks for that new information.

I am concerned about your symptoms.

The symptoms could, possibly, be from contact lens overwear -- not meaning you are doing anything wrong but that you lens is on longer then your eye can stand it.....

Or the symptoms could be from something as benign as anterior segment problems like dry eye or blepharitis.

But..... this statement you made:

"I have woken up to a red right eye which was highly highly sensitive to light, the left eye which was unaffected also couldn't stand light, and it took 2 days of almost complete darkness before I was able to function normally. My eye still looked bad for nearly a week, but I could tolerate light."

makes me think that you could be suffering from serious, and possibly intermittent, inflammation inside your eyeball (uveitis) or, even more serious, episodes of intermittent angle closure glaucoma.

In any event, from what you have posted, I think your best option is to see an ophthalmologist ASAP for a full eye exam. Bring your contacts and backup glasses with you to the appointment.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.

I just got your picture. Your eye is too red to ignore or continue to mess around with at home. Call an ophthalmologist today and try to be seen this afternoon if possible.
Hi Melinda,

I was just wondering what the ophthalmologist found yesterday. I hope it is nothing serious and you are feeling better already.