Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Fatigue and burning eyes mainly in the morning. Could that

Fatigue and burning eyes mainly in the morning. Could that be associated with depression?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

While depression does not, in and of itself, cause burning and fatigued eyes in the morning some of the medications can cause dryness which can make your eyes feel like this.

Dr. Rick :

Also, it is very common for these symptoms to be associated with other conditions that cause problems with the anterior segment and/or tear film.

Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr. Rick,

Another problem I have with my eyes is that my vision get blurred in a similar way as if I would look into the sun and then try to read. I could only see parts of the text. This could last for approx. 15 - 30 minutes. My family doctor told to me that this condition could happen because of high blood pressure but I don't think this is the reason - my blood pressure hasn't been that high 120-130 / 80-90. Last time this happened was approx. 2 months ago. Since that time I have been on antidepressant Fevarin 50 mg a day and this situation didn't repeat. Before that, this could happen once or twice a month. Do you have any explanation for this condition? If you need any more information I will be happy to do it. Kind regards Henry

Henry,

Looking into the sun can bleach out the photo-pigment in your eyes. This can cause vision problems for a variable amount of time.

Could this be a sign that you have poor blood flow to your retina? Perhaps. But this is not a common condition.

I would suggest that you not look into the sun. If this is something that you just have to do then I would consult with a retina specialist for a complete exam to make sure that everything is OK...although, from what you have posted, I would bet that it will be.

I hope this answers your questions to your satisfaction.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr. Rick, I never did look into the sun, I just tried to explain the condition which happened once in a while. My vision wasn't actually blurred but when I tried to concentrate for example on a text, my vision was only partial and I could see some blank spots between the letters. Do you have any explanation for this condition? Kind regards Henry