Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

woman 85yrs old rt eye swollen painful no apperant external

woman 85yrs old rt eye swollen painful no apperant external cause. What could be the cause and how can I treat?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is it your eyeball itself or just your eyelids?

Dr. Rick :

How long has the swelling been going on?

Dr. Rick :

Any pain?

Dr. Rick :

Any changes in vision?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Is it your eyeball itself or just your eyelids?
Dr. Rick : How long has the swelling been going on?
Dr. Rick : Any pain?
Dr. Rick : Any changes in vision?
Dr. Rick : Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?
Dr. Rick : I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she says the eye ball has pain, this is the second day. she can open the eye the swelling has gone down some she says.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Since there is pain in the eyeball she really needs to be examined by an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she has family Dr check up tomorrow, should we see what he says or go straight to Ophthalmologist?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I would go to the ophthalmologist first as the family doctor will not really be able to deal with any eye issue. If the eye is OK (and this is the most important thing to deal with first if it is not....) then the family doc can help if it is still necessary.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest