Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My 6 year old daughter tested pos for strep this morning. She

My 6 year old daughter tested pos for strep this morning. She had complained of her left eye hurting this morn before the doc but it looked normal. Now it is almost swollen shut and underneath is red and puffy, no discharge but tears. The doc said most of her congestion was on right side, not left. She is now sleeping, fever of 102.3 and gave her ibuprofen. Any advice is appreciated

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Can you take a picture of her eye both open and shut (as close as you can with the other eye in the pics) and upload it here to your reply to me?
Customer: I can, but she is sleeping and I am loathe to wake since she has such a high fever. How long are you on?
Doctor DanB : I can check back in periodically for the pics, but if you don't mind, can I ask you some other ?'s in the meantime?
Customer: Of course
Doctor DanB : Sorry. This chat system is a bit buggy. Has she ever had sinus problems or seasonal allergies before? Any trauma to her face or nose?
Doctor DanB : Were you able to see my questions? Has she ever had sinus problems or seasonal allergies before? Any trauma to her face or nose?
Doctor DanB : I'm afraid I'm not seeing your responses or you're not seeing mine. I'm going to switch over to a Q&A format so we can avoid the bugs. You'll get a notification each time I post a response in this thread.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I didnt see the questions. No to allergies, trauma, etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no to the sinus, allergies, trauma

Does the eyeball itself look red? Has her vision changed and/or is she complaining of doubte vision?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

her eye is slightly red, but she said she could see normally

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I download a pic to u?
There should be an icon near your chat window (maybe a paper clip?) that will allow you to upload pictures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unfortunately i took the pics on my phone and am writing you on the computer and my phone wont download to that. is there an email i could send to?

Actually the website forbids us from communicating by email to the point that it automatically filters out any email addresses you or I would send to each other.

However, I've seen another expert have his customers post their pics this way; it should give you a URL ultimately which I can use to see the pictures. Let's have you give this a try.

I'm not quite sure if this will work on your phone but let's see.

Go to
Upload your picture to the site by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the fourth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Finally figured out how to get it on here. She is also complaining of quite a bit of pain in and all around the eye.Brooklyn's eye

Thank you for uploading that photo. There are a few possibilities here. In conjunction with a strep throat infection, I suspect that she make either have a pre-septal cellulitis (an infection of the eyelid skin around the eye), an infected tear duct, or a sinus infection that is causing orbital inflammation and congestion.  All of these can be serious problems as it relates to the eye. I would recommend taking her to her ophthalmologist as soon as you can. Does that make sense?
Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, could it possibly be caused by the antibiotic...pennicillin V?

It is very unlikely that the Penicillin is causing this reaction. It is much more likely (and dangerous) that she has a peri-orbital cellulitis that is not responding to the Penicillin and may need a different and/or stronger antibiotic--in some cases IV antibiotics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do we need to take her tonight?

Yes, I think that would be the safest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you!

My pleasure. Good luck to her and you! Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. 
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
How did your daughter end up doing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We took her to the er that night and she had exactly what you had said, periorbital cellulitus. By the time we got there it looked horrible. They gave her an antibiotic shot and steroid shot. Unfortunately, it looked and hurt worse the next day. So we went back to the er and they admitted her to the hospital. We just got out last evening. She is still sick, but feeling much, much better!
Thanks to you, we got her in on time and there wasn't any damage underneath.
Thank you so much!!
I also gave you a glowing review on the followup from this sight.
Thank you so much. I'm so sorry to hear of her suffering, but am very glad to hear she's on the road to recovery. In glad you and I were able to come together to help her get better. Good luck to you both and I'd be happy to help again in the future should you need it.