Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

RA - KD

Customer Question

i got this painful red bump on my eye... what can it be? it looks small in the picture but it looks big to me in person.. its noticeable... the tip of it is white... pretty hard when i touch it

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for the pictures. That looks like a furuncle, which is a deep infection of a hair follicle.

Dr. Rick :

You can treat that with warm compresses and bacitracin ointment. When it comes to a head you can give it a squeeze to help it drain.

Dr. Rick :

If your eyelid starts to get more red, or if it seems to you to be spreading, more swelling etc, then you should consult your MD.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)