Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

Twitches around eyes

Customer Question

Twitches around eyes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Tom :

I see you have entered the conversation so May I ask you a couple of questions to get us started?

Dr. Tom :

It appears that you are in the chat room, but we can't get started until you respond.

Dr. Tom :

Your posting said " Twitches around eyes" .. Please tell me what question you have with regard to this?

Dr. Tom :

You appear to keep coming in and out of the chat. Are you having trouble responding?

Customer :

I think I have a sinus infection, nose is stuffy and a day ago I noticed twitchiness under eyes, now sometimes on lids, annoying...nerves ? I take vitamins and high bp med.

Dr. Tom :

Great, okay I got your answer. Do you have the twitching equally on both eyes? And did you ever have any eyelid twitching prior to the onset of the sinus infection?

Customer :

I believe I have a sinus infection, about a day ago I noticed under my right eye pulses...nose is stuffy...now went to lids...uncomfortable... I take vitamins, Co q 10...high blood pressure me

Customer :

No....not equal on both eyes.

Customer :

No twitching prior to sinus infection....

Dr. Tom :

Okay, thanks for that additional information. The twitching your experiencing has a really fancy name called myokymia....... but it's really nothing for you to worry about. Any time there is any sort of inflammation around the eye the very sensitive nerve endings that intervate the muscles of the eyelid can get a little out of sorts and cause these muscle twitches. Actually, these muscle twitches can occur in perfectly normal people. They are annoying, but they go away just as they came. Many people get symptomatic relief by applying warm moist heat to the eyes. These twitches will go away and you will go right back to normal. Does this make sense?

Dr. Tom :

The monitor indicates that you are typing, you have any further questions on this?

Customer :
  • Yes it does , thank you .I really didn't think it was serious but the reassurance is comforting.
Dr. Tom :

Okay, I am glad I could help. Part of my job is to ask that you rate how well I answered your question, so please click on one of those big smiley faces before you check out. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to rate our conversation by clicking one of the big smiley faces. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Susan,
please take a minute to rate our conversation by clicking on one of the big smiling faces. Thank you very much.