Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My optometrist told me I have Corneal Dystrophy last week.

My optometrist told me I have Corneal Dystrophy last week. He is doing more testing next week but I am not sure what. Should I be concerned? I should also say that he told me he could not correct my vision with glasses?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: Yes
Customer: I am available to chat
Doctor DanB : A corneal dystrophy is an inherited or genetic problem with the cornea. There can be a  handful of different types, however most people do not lose significant vision from. Depending on what type of dystrophy you have, the treatment may be different. Many people have a corneal dystrophy that keeps them from getting corrected to 20/20 with glasses or contacts, and it sounds like this is the case with you.
Doctor DanB : While I wouldn't necessarily be concerned however, it would be good to have this follow-up testing and would likely be the best thing for you to see an ophthalmologist to have a violation for this. Does that make sense?
Customer: I think so. He did mention that he thought he could help it with contacts. But he also said it would get progressively worse but slowly.
Customer: I appreciate your response. Thank you very much.
Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!