Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My son was diagnosed with coats disease at 4 yrs old had 2

Customer Question

My son was diagnosed with coats disease at 4 yrs old had 2 courses of laser to seal leakages back of eye, which was successful and settled for 8years, he recently had his annual check up and told his retina is detached and the disease has flared up again.on examination his doctor has said surgery would be of no benifit as he lost central vision at 4 yrs and regaining what peripheral vision he had would be unlikely as we couldn't tell how long retina was question is will an untreated detached retina not cause pain and if the disease is not halted with laser what is the most likely outcome of his condition.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

" my question is will an untreated detached retina not cause pain"- to answer to this query is NO. Retinal detachment(RD) is PAINLESS. It usually presents as a sudden blurring/loss of vision in one or more quadrants of the visual field. Coat's disease is known to cause exudative retinal detachment as one of its complications.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case of long standing RD the prognosis is very poor as the chances of the retina falling back inot its place and getting reattached is very unlikely. The prognosis and visual outcome is better in case of fresh RD say within a few days of its onset. In this case the exact duration of RD is not known hence the lesser likelihood of visual recovery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the disease is not halted with the help of lasers , it may continue to have new blood vessel formation, cause glaucoma,cataract. As the central vision has been lost and RD has developed , the purpose of treatment would be prevent glaucoma. In a few number of cases, if the eye becomes a painful blind eye, it may require an enucleation. If there is no pain and some amount of vision, a more of symptomatic approach is taken such as keep the intraocular pressure under control if found high.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

I know how painful it is to know about the prognosis of such conditions and truly understand your situation.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist