Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

It started about a week ago right after new years. My left

Customer Question

It started about a week ago right after new years. My left eye became very red and dry. A few days witout improvement I went to urgent care and was given antibiotics for what he thought was pink eye. After three days of treatment of that and no improvement i went to see a Optomoligist (sorry for the misspells). He said I didnt have pink eye but a abrasion in my left eye. He put a contact in and told me to use the antibiotic and eye solution. I have been for 3 days now and no improvement. Now my right eye looks just as bad and I dont know what is going on!!! Please any suggestions.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the redness in the left eye also associated with any other eye symptom such as pain in the eye, blurred vision , intolerence to bright light?

Customer :

no. not that i can tell. The left eye is sensitve to light

Customer :

sorry yes the left eye is. the right eye isnt

Customer :

but both eyes now look the same

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was the eye specialist an ophthalmologist or an optometrist ?

Customer :

Comprehensive Ophthalomolgy is what is says

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

Specialisinf in: corneal surgury, external disease & refractive surgery

Dr. A.S. Desai :

My suspicion is that since both eyes are now having redness, there is a possibility of it being a pink eye but of a different viral strain ( one which can involve the cornea too).

Customer :

ok. i have two small kids. is it contagious?

Customer :

what should i do?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Viral conjunctivitis is definitely contagious and can easily spread in household members. The best way of prevention is to wash hands very frequently especially after touching the eye or wiping it.

Customer :

i have been. This has been going on for a week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Avoid warm compresses as the warmth is known to increase growth of organisms. If you want you can just do cool compresses for symptomatic relief.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The usual natural course of viral conjunctivitis is 1 week but different strains can have durations upto 3 weeks too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However it is better to get the right eye examined by the ophthalmologist now so that it can be known whether there has been a corneal involvement in the right eye too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Simple corneal abrasions heal very well just with eye ointment and patching for 24 hours.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Lubricating eye drops definitely give symptomatic relief from irritation and dry sensation in the eyes.

Customer :

ok nothing is working

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When has the doctor called you for removal of the contact lens?

Customer :

tomorrow

Customer :

i have an appointment with my primary today

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

Im just really concerened about this. I look like crap and i cant work becasue i am in sales. I dont want people to see me like this.

Customer :

i saw the doctor on mon and tues. both time he exam my right eye and said warm compress to lossen the glands.

Customer :

i have been, and its looks worse.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once the contact lens is removed we can get to know if the corneal surface has healed completely . It should have healed within 3 days. But the redness may not subside until the natural course of a probable viral infections runs completely ( could be so for another week at the most).

Customer :

ok. but your not worried it could be anything else?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the doctor was particular about warm compresses to loosen the glands, then he must have observed signs suggestive of meibomitis or blepharitis .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Meibomitis is inflammation of the modified sebaceous glands present in the lids.

Customer :

yes he did. but i am just worried i have something else going on

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Other causes of red eyes are dry eyes, keratitis, iritis, episcleritis, scleritis.... But these would have been diagnosed very easily on an eye exam and would not have been missed. As your doctor has specifically noticed a corneal abrasion in the left eye and ?meibomitis in the right eye, it is very unlikely that there is some other problem in the eye .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there was any other cause for redness in the eyes, there would have been pain or blurred vision too. Allergic conjunctivitis can also present with red eyes but the itching sensation in the eyes is very obvious.

Customer :

yes i have zero itching. at night both eyes just water but still seem very dry. no puss

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest that you stick on with the advise of the ophthalmologist and wait for his opinion regarding the right eye. If there has been indeed a bout of viral infection, then I am afraid it will take a few more days to subside naturally.

Customer :

can a viral infection be missed by the doctor?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Many a times there are no signs in the eyes except for mild redness and watering in case of viral infection.

Customer :

any treatment?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is more likely to be considered when all other causes of red eyes are looked for and ruled out.

Customer :

i would say i have sever redness

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just lubricating eye drops for soothening effect and continuation of the antibiotic eye drops to prevent super added bacterial infection.

Customer :

ok. i just hope this goes away soon. I have my daughter 3rd bday on sunday.

Customer :

If the problem doesnt go away what would you suggesr? any blood tests \

Dr. A.S. Desai :

oh wow! many happy returns of the day in advance to the little one!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, blood tests are of no use in case of red eye. They do not have any diagnostic role to play.

Customer :

ok so just time. i have to be pateint. somethng i am not good at

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the absence of eye pain/ blurred vision / discharge, I would not be too concerned at this stage and would wait for symptoms to improve in the next few days or a week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For the red eye to be of something more serious in nature, there would have been more signs and symptoms.

Customer :

ok thank you for your time.

Customer :

like?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

At the moment you do not seem to have anything other than redness... ( as I mentioned earlier - other symptoms such as eye pain / blurred vision).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your follow up would be more informative about the nature of eye problem responsible for the red eyes.

Customer :

i do in my left eye. but the doctor says its an abrasion. i just feel what ever happened to my left is not happening to my right

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the doctor too feels the same. That is why he has felt the need for a contact lens for the left eye ( would help in the healing of the corneal abrasion) whereas warm compresses for the right eye ( as it could be due to meibomitis).

Customer :

ok thanks. if you like i will follow up with you. How would i do so? i do have to leave to go see my primary. thanks again for your time

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Once we exit the chat, this entire conversation will get saved in the Q&A format. I will be available there anytime for follow up.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.