Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

rr-fc

Customer Question

I have several eruptions on my skin that I can not identify. I starts as a small dark eye the size of a pin. It almost immediately becomes a white puss filled head. The head stays perfectly round as it seems to get larger and after squeezing out the pus and some blood it develops a perfectly round almost looks like a cigarette burn scab. I used a drawing salve on my neck to help remove the pus and infection. I have one on my finger on the nuckle, one under my breast which I did no know I had, it is already scabbed. I now have one on the back of my leg at the base of my butt, It is very painful because it is where I sit and is constantly irritated. This particular bump came about all of a sudden when I was laying in bed at a hotel. I thought something bit me, I got up and checked for bed bugs or something. I found no reason for the bite, the next morning I realized it was another of these eruptions. I am going to use a drawing salve today to relieve pressure on the spot on my rear leg. Any idea what these spots could be. If they had not happened at different times in different places I would almost suspect spider bites. Please help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

how long have you been noticing these sores?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer :

I do not take medications, I do have elevated blood sugar which I try to handle with diet and excercise. This however is not a new condition. I have noticed the eruptions just over the past few weeks. I do not know when I got the one under my breast because I never noticed it I would have to say it was probably the first one because it is scabbed over.

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for that extra information. What you are suffering from are called blackheads. They are very common

Dr. Rick :

They are not from poor hygiene or bug bites but rather from the excess oils that build up in a specific skin gland, called a sebaceous gland. This stuff (keratin and sebum) gets dark over time and can also become secondarily infected, hence the pus.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of treatments available, anything from hormonal therapy (contraceptives), salicylic acid skin cleaning and medications (adapalene)

Dr. Rick :

Some doctors also recommend a mild skin peel with UV exposure to help open the pores.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer :

I am still here. Does it make sense that this would happen on my nuckle and under my breast ? I have never had an issue with clogged pores or even blackheads. the one that appeared on my leg i actually felt when it started and it seemed like I was bit, that was the sensation, it does not seem that a blackhead would do that. Or that it would be that sudden

Dr. Rick :

Yes. These can appear anywhere. They might be bothering you now as your hormonal status changes. Could it be from bug bites? Perhaps. But as you have noted they don't seem to follow a pattern consistent with bugs.....

Dr. Rick :

I bet this is your problem. Of course, to be 100% sure you should consult your MD or a dermatologist who can see and touch the lesions...something that is difficult for me to do with "chat" as my only diagnostic "tool" :)

Customer :

The eye in the center and the perfectly round scab would seem to be very distinct characteristics to me, even the almost perfectly circular pattern of the sore itself, does that fit any ailments to you.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It sounds like a black/white head. It does not sound like a tick bite from lymes if that is what you mean.....

Customer :

No I have not been exposed to ticks. Are there oil glands in your breasts? Remember that is where the first sore appeared. It was not infected like the one on my neck and leg but did scab

Dr. Rick :

Yes. These glands are present everywhere that you have skin, including your breasts. They don't always become infected but they can. It is not unusual for women to start having these issues during menopause as your entire hormone baXXXXX XXXXXes.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer :

I am still puzzled by the fact the I felt the sensation of being bit and then had an immediate raise in my skin on the back of my leg which by the next morning was sore. do you believe that a blackhead would present the sensation of being bit. I guess I am questioning that, it causes me the most pause and does not seem to fit.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to tell what the sensation you felt is from. Could it be from the blackhead getting infected/sore? Perhaps. I really think that a blackhead is what you are suffering from. The only way to get more information would be to see a dermatologist in person.

Dr. Rick :

I am sure you can understand how my ability to rule out every single issue is limited due to helping you on the internet. .....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand it is difficult with out seeing the eruptions. I really do not feel it is a blackhead. I will see a dermatolosgist or urgent care. I do appreciate your time but do not feel my question was answered. If I find out it is a blackhead I would be happy to pay. until then I do not feel I was helped

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to sharing in the wealth with your Dermatologist ;-)

I wish you the very best.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ouch!!!! That was not necessary....

By giving me a bad rating you hurt my online status. This black mark can now only be removed by you changing your rating to a positive one.

I thought you were going to "wait and see" on what your doctor said. :(

If your regular MD doesn't give you a diagnosis you think is correct to you file a complaint with the State Medical Board?? That is kinda what negative feedback is like on this site.....

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.