Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have a bump on my eyeball. My eye is red and it hurts to

I have a bump on my eyeball. My eye is red and it hurts to blink. Eye dr prescribed steroid drops saying it was irritated. I have put compresses on it too and nothing is helping.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Hi Dr Tom

Customer:

Ok

Dr. Tom :

Hello again, may I ask you a couple of questions to get us started?

Customer:

sure

Dr. Tom :

Is the bump you describe on your eyelid or is it on the eyeball itself?

Customer:

on the eyeball itself, a little raised and quite red...left eye, on the white part between the corner of my eye and the iris

Dr. Tom :

When did you see the eye doctor and start the steroid eye drops?

Customer:

five days ago. Called the office today and the reception said she would ask the doc and get back to me...she didnt call me back

Customer:

eyedrops said use 3-5 days

Customer:

one drop 3x a day

Customer:

lotemax

Dr. Tom :

Well, I'm sure your doctor will want to see you again fairly quickly if you didn't feel like you are improving on the schedule that he suggested. From the way you describe your eye problem, and the way your doctor is treating it, it certainly sounds like you have something we called an inflamed penguelae. I would expect it to take a little bit longer for the steroid medication to get it under control. And there are some stronger steroid eye drops that your eye doctor may decide you need since you didn't get as quick a response as was expected. Does this make sense and can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

Customer:

just worried about using the steroid drops longer than he said

Customer:

It makes it feel better, but isn't improving the ugly thing. My co workers are freaked out that I have pink eye

Customer:

I assured them.

Dr. Tom :

No you're not having pink eye and there's nothing contagious about what you have. You're right about

there being some caution with the use of steroid eye drops. We ophthalmologists use them very frequently and are on the lookout for any of the side effects. I don't think you have to worry about that......... you have any other questions or concerns that I can discuss with you ?

Customer:

No I think you covered it. I will call and make another appointment to see him tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Tom :

Well thank you for letting me help you tonight. Part of my job is to ask you to rate our conversation by clicking one of the big smiling faces before you check out. Thank you very much

Customer:

thanks and have a great night

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems