Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

my husband is experiencing sensitivity to light, pain

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Before we get started May I ask a couple of questions about your husband problem?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

Do you have any idea what might have started the problem? Has your husband had any eye surgery in the past? Does he have any change in his vision because of the light sensitivity? And is he at home now?

Customer:

no surgery. I think his vision is ok. he complains that the street lights bother him at night. he is at work now

Dr. Tom :

Okay thanks for that. How old is your husband?

Customer:

62

Dr. Tom :

Okay, now that you have said that the streetlights at night are bothering him, his symptoms could easily be from early mild cataracts. Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes but why was that not diagnosed before-that would show with an eye exam

Dr. Tom :

That's a great Question and it comes up all the time. Many people don't realize that as we get older the lenses of our eyes become more dense and change from being crystal clear to a more amber color. The process usually presents itself in the early forties when we, who may have never needed glasses before, need those over-the-counter reading glasses. The process just continues as the years go by and it's a normal process. In a routine eye examination, unless there are symptoms, there's generally no discussion of this normal aging process process. It would make perfect sense for your husband to have an ophthalmological examination if his symptoms are causing him any change in lifestyle issues. For example, if he has become concerned about night driving, and that is changing his lifestyle, and maybe yours too, it might be time for him to do something about it. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Customer:

so again cataracts were not mentioned after the dr gave his exam. what can be done for him

Dr. Tom :

May I ask if he saw an ophthalmologist? And MD who specializes in all of the diseases and surgery of the eye.

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

Then I suspect your husband's visual acuity and lack of any other significant complaints convinced his ophthalmologist that it wasn't time to discuss cataract surgery with him. You ask what can be done for him. If his symptoms warrant, cataract/lens exchange surgery can correct this problem painlessly, quickly and with a very high degree of success and safety. If that covers the question to your satisfaction, it's also my job to ask you to rate this response to your question by clicking the big smiley face before you checkout of our conversation. Thank you very much for allowing me to help you with this question.

Dr. Tom :

I see that you rated this is bad service, please tell me how I failed to give you answers to your questions. I do not want to terminate our conversation until you have received the answers you need.

Customer:

you gave me information that was not diagnosed. he has salve and told he has exposed nerves in his eyes-whar causee this and what can be done

Dr. Tom :

Just to clarify, are you saying that because I gave you information that another doctor did not talk about, that caused you to give me the bad rating? My job is to answer your question based on many years of experience treating patients with similar problems. I want to continue with you on this if you will allow me. So if you will allow me to do so, I would like to learn a little bit more about his use of salve for expose nerves. You didn't mention that before and it could certainly have some bearing on his light sensitivity. Did your husband complained to the ophthalmologist about his light sensitivity on his last examination?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

Did the doctor mention anything about having dry eyes?

Customer:

no just exposed nerves and using the salve at night

Dr. Tom :

Well, there is a condition called dry eye syndrome which can cause microscopic dry spots to develop on the cornea, and when this happens the cornea nerve endings are exposed. This gives us a dry sandy feeling. And irritation so to speak. So a person has to blink frequently replenish the tear film. Light sensitivity and some blurring of vision are certainly associated with this. Usually we recommend frequent over-the-counter lubricating eye drops and if it's really bad even the salve like your husband is using. Does he use any artificial tears?

Customer:

no-what is the best over the counter to use?

Dr. Tom :

A very good over-the-counter eyedrop is called Systane. It helps stabilize the tear film and can be used frequently during the day without causing any blurring. The instructions for use are on the box, but there really isn't any restriction on frequency. It is a very safe eyedrop.

Dr. Tom :

I hope that covers your question better this time. Is anything further you would like to ask?

Customer:

no thank you

Dr. Tom :

Please reconsider changing your rating rating to your question to one of the good ratings. My goal is to satisfy you. Thank you very much

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems