Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My left eyelid is swollen with no pain. This looks wierd and

My left eyelid is swollen with no pain. This looks wierd and I wonder how to treat it as I am an actress.
Thank you
Adrienne

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Thank you Dr. Tom

Customer:

Are you writing to me?

Dr. Tom :

Just a moment please and we'll get started.

Dr. Tom :

May I ask you a couple of questions about your swollen eyelid?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Tom :

How long has a swelling than there, is it red, is it painful and are you having any changes in your vision and do you have any significant itching?

Customer:

For two days. I woke up yesterday and it was this way. No itching. No pain. No changes in vision. It is swollen from the corner of the top of the lid and out.

Dr. Tom :

If you rub your finger across your eyelid can you find and area where there is any point tenderness?

Customer:

It is isn't red. No pink eye, Ive had that before.

Customer:

No. No tenderness..

Dr. Tom :

Just a few other questions, have you been running any temperature here in the upper respiratory infection and do you have any other general diseases?

Customer:

No, I am in good health. No temperature and basically fine except for an overactive thyroid, which I take medicine for.

Customer:

It feels a little tender above the corner of my eye.

Dr. Tom :

Without being able to examine you, but going on the basis of the symptoms you mentioned, it appears likely that you have developed an internal sty. The good news is that while internal sties can make the eyelid red and swollen they often respond to the use of frequent applications of warm moist heat. They do not usually need any antibiotic treatment and will often clear in about a week. However they can consolidate into a Pea size lump which may take a good bit longer to resolve. For now however push the hot moist heat, for 5 to 10 minutes every hour while you are awake. If the swelling hasn't resolved in a few days you should consider making an appointment with an ophthalmologist. There are certain situations where we can inject a small amount of steroid which really helps the sty improve rapidly. Does that essentially answer your question?

Customer:

Yes. I do not think it is a sty, because I have had those as well . Thank you for telling me about the injection, I was not aware of that. I will try a warm washcloth like you suggested. Thank you Dr. Tom