Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I went to an optometrist and they thought I might have allergies.

I went to an optometrist and they thought I might have allergies. Now only one eye itches and it looks like the clear part around my iris is swelling. My eye is irritated and red. There is a lot of discharge like tears. Should I be worried?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Tom :

Thanks for your question. Give me just the second two as few a couple of questions before we get started. Is that okay with you?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Tom :

What were your initial complaints when you went to the optometrist? What is the name of the antihistamine drop you are using? Do you still have any itching? Does the discharge make your eyelids stick together

Customer:

I had itchy red eyes. They did an exam and said it wasn't pink eye. Then I was given Pataday for one drop every day in each eye. Then renu lubricating drops throughout the day. I was also told to use cold compresses. Now I only have itching in one eye. and the discharge does make my eyes stick together. But my vision is always blurry now out of my right eye and I have 20/10 vision.

Customer:

My eye is extremely swollen as well it looks like someone punched me in the eye

Customer:

I looked again the lubricating drops are Refresh

Dr. Tom :

Well, the itching certainly suggest an allergy. And Pataday is a good initial step. However you describe two additional things that would make me want to examine you if you called in to my office for the same complaints. You're beginning to have blurry vision, a swollen eye and what sounds like enough exudate cause your eyes to stick together. Therefore it would be my suggestion that you make an appointment with an ophthalmologist, who you probably already understand, is a physician with extensive training in the diagnosis and management of the eye diseases and the appropriate medical management. The reason that I'm concerned about this is the degree of swelling you have and the ability that may actually be an infection instead of an allergy. Does that make sense to you?

Customer:

Yeah it does so it could have been an allergy at first turned into an infection in one eye correct?

Dr. Tom :

Right, I know that seems a little weird, but it's possible that analogy reduced your resistance and the one eye picked a secondary infection. This sort of thing comes up pretty often, and the good news is that a short course of antibiotic eye drops will likely bring this under control pretty quickly.

Customer:

Ok well I guess I have to go to the doctors again. Any kind of relief for the night?

Dr. Tom :

Yes, since you have the refresh teardrops you should use those quite a bit. Like a couple of drops every hour until you go to sleep. Also because of the swelling consider using cold compresses. But the main thing is for you to find an ophthalmologist to get you on the proper management for this. You don't want a minor infection leading into a more significant problem. I hope that answers your question, and if there's anything else don't hesitate to ask, but before you check out please click on the big smiling face to rate our chat. Thank you and best wishes.

Customer:

Thanks alot. I will get to the docs tomorrow.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems