Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

hello, my right eye began to hurt more like an itchy feeling

Customer Question

hello,
my right eye began to hurt more like an itchy feeling the first 2 days.
Now, after 5 days, it began hurting when i frown or look right. It also hurts a lot when i press the side of my eye.
please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer :

hi

Customer :

dr.tom?

Customer :

hi

Customer :

Can anyone help me with my problemÉ

Dr. Tom :

Hello and thanks for your question. May I ask a couple of questions before we get started?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Tom :

Well, it certainly sounds like your problem began as an allergy. Itching is almost always associated with an allergy. But we need to talk about the pain you're experiencing when you press the side of your eye. Do you have any increased mucus in your eyes. Do your eyes seem to feel Sandy or dry. Have you had any change in your vision. Are you significantly more light sensitive than normal. Sorry to ask many questions, but these are important in trying to determine what is causing your problem.

Customer :

i dont feel light sensitive but eye gets uncomfortable and specially when i turn it and press

Dr. Tom :

The pain that you describe as hurting when you frown or when you move your eyes, or put pressure on your eye suggests that you may have an inflammation of your eye that would respond to other medications. Unfortunately these medicines have to be prescribed by an ophthalmologist, and for that reason it would be prudent for you to arrange an appointment. The antibiotics that you used would not be appropriate under the circumstances. I'm glad that you do not have particular light sensitivity because that pretty much rules out iritis or any significant corneal problems. Does this make sense so far?

Customer :

is iritis or corneal problem dangerous?

Customer :

its hard to say if i have it.

Dr. Tom :

Well, I was simply pointing out a couple of things that we had basically ruled out. Do you still have any itching at all?

Customer :

not this morning but tonight yes

Customer :

but less itching but mostly pain when i mov eye

Dr. Tom :

Have you been rubbing your I vigorously, particularly when it was more itchy

Dr. Tom :

Okay, given what you have described, the most prudent thing for you to do is have a complete ophthalmological evaluation. The soreness, or pain when you move your eye suggest an inflammation. Without an examination it would not be possible to tell you in this chat what is causing it, but if you are a patient of mine and called in with similar problem, I would tell my nurse to make a place for you in the schedule so that I could make the diagnosis and get you started on the proper treatment. Is it possible for you to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist?

Customer :

Thank you i will. thx so much.

Dr. Tom :

You're very welcome, do you have any other questions?

Dr. Tom :

Since I see your off-line I'll go ahead and services over to the question-and-answer format. Please don't forget to click the big smiley face to rate our chat. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, if you don't, it was a pleasure to help you today.......... and before you check out of the system please check the big happy face to rate our chat. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Dear Tarik,

please don't forget to put a big smiley face rating on my response and answer to your question before you check out. Thank you very much