Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Over active lacrimal ducts. My eyes water .... water and water.

Customer Question

Over active lacrimal ducts. My eyes water .... water and water. Not emmotional situations at all, they just water. Doctor said I have over active lacrmal ducts however, we could not come up with the trigger. I changed my make up. I use new mascra once a month. I have systane drops which helps sometimes but not most. What do you think is causing this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer :

ok

Dr. Tom :

Great...stand by just a second.

Dr. Tom :

May I ask you a couple of questions before we get started?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Tom :

Do your eyes actually run water to the extent that other people can see the tears spilling over on your cheeks? Have you been evaluated for sinus disease. Do You have much in the way of allergies. And while it is rude to ask, please let me know your age and any other conditions you may have such as diabetes, thyroid disease or any other general medical problem.

Customer :

Healthy 49 year old, no allergies and yes, people can see them water to the point of going down my cheeks but i dab them all the time with a tissue.

Customer :

I have not been check for sinus issues.

Dr. Tom :

Thank you for that. Just a couple more questions. Do your eyes burn or feel sandy. Are your eyes red very often. Where you examined by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Customer :

I have notice that i get runny noses more so in the last couple of months with no cold symptons, just a runny nose.

Customer :

My eyes feel strained or tired burn perhaps but not much, no they don't feel sandy. I would say they look red but again tired. I was seen by an optometrist.

Customer :

I have to leave my work place in a few minutes, can I check back in about an hour or so?? Do you have any thoughts yet?

Dr. Tom :

Okay. Well, let me brief you on a few things and then we can come back to answering your questions. The first thing to point out, given that you said "Doctor said I have over active lacrmal ducts"....... is that the lacrimal ducts do not produce tears, instead they are the structures which remove tears from the eyes, down through the nose to the throat. In the second general statement is that when we seem to have excessive tearing, it is either because the lacrimal system is not draining adequately, or there is something which is stimulating the tear productive system to generate more tears and attempt to eradicate a problem. Since you don't have much in the way of red, Sandy or burning eyes , it points toward you having a problem where your tears are not going through your lacrimal system in a normal manner. This could be due to an obstruction in the lacrimal drainage system. Since you have not been checked for sinus problems that is something you should consider. Frequently when I have patients in my office with exactly the same circumstances you present, we do a very simple irrigation to ensure that the lacrimal system is open and not blocked. Ophthalmologists do this routinely, and for this reason my first recommendation is that you get reevaluated by an ophthalmologist, who are medical specialist with extensive training in the management of all eye diseases and I surgery. The good news is that this could be something as simple as an unsuspected sinus problem. Given that you get a runny nose more frequently now than before supports that. Actually some of the over-the-counter nasal sprays, such as Afrin, might be considered. Does all this make sense so far?

Dr. Tom :

Since you have to leave your office, which I understand, I will be happy to respond later if what I have said so far doesn't answer your question. On the other hand, if that takes care of it, I would like to thank you for letting me help you with your question.

Dr. Tom :

Please let me know if you want to come back to this later before you sign off of this session.

Customer : So i should take the next step and go to the Ophthalmologist and evaluate from there. I think this got worse after a bad summer cold in July. I don't get a stuffy nose unless a bad cold otherwise runny nose nose. He did prescribe steroid drops with inflammation. AIDS to see it that would settle them down. Should I try it? I have to take care of thus... it causes me anxiety when working and going out in public.
Dr. Tom :

Yes, I am sure it is enough of a problem to cause you some anxiety when you're constantly having to wipe away tears. It is not going to hurt anything for you to try the drops for a while, but I just think this is being approached improperly. Since you don't have symptoms of redness, irritation or other problems with your eyeballs themselves, other than that the tearing, and since you do have problems with stuffy nose, runny nose and questionably a history of sinus problems, it makes sense that the problem is with your tear drainage system. This is why have recommended that you see an ophthalmologist to get a definitive diagnosis and establish a proper treatment plan.................................................... I hope this is helpful to you, and I thank you for allowing me to help.................. please click on the big smiley face before you check out. Thank you.

Dr. Tom :

Since you're still off-line, I will switch over to the question and answer format. Even though it may say that our chat has ended, I'm still available if you have any more questions. If not, it's my job to ask you to click the big smiley face to rate my response to you before you sign out.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dear Heidi,
Please don't forget to rate our conversation and my response to your question. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dear Heidi,

I hope you're doing better. And I thought I would ask again for you to please rate our conversation by clicking on the big smiling face. Thank you.