Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi Doctor, I am a 35 yrs old female with a very high myopia. Left

Hi Doctor,

I am a 35 yrs old female with a very high myopia.

Left eye spherical no. is 30.5, cylindrical no. is -3 and axis is 165 degrees. My Right eye spherical no. is -26.5, cylindrical no. is -2 and axis 15 degrees.

It is the maximum my doctor here in New Delhi, India has ever seen. My problem is that i have developed macular degeneration in my right eye. it is very upsetting as it really hampers my vision. I am practically completely dependent on my left eye now for sight.
I have two major concerns :
My first concern : is there any way by which i can prevent macular degeneration to happen in my left eye ?
Another thing that i would like to ask you, Is there any treatment or operation to correct such high myopia ? may be an eye transplant or anything ?

i can travel anywhere in the world to get the treatment done. I will be grateful to you if you could help me with my queries...

Thanks
Prerna
New Delhi, India
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are youavailable to chat?
Doctor DanB : The things we know for sure that affect the course of macular degeneration are as follows: 1. Taking an AREDS vitamin supplement is crucial to slowing the progression of vision loss and decreasing the incidence of severe vision loss from ARMD. However, it is important to take the supplement (# XXXXX pills and # XXXXX times per day) as it states on the supplement bottle; some people take less # XXXXX pills or take it less times per day than is recommended, but with an altered regimen, the efficacy of these vitamins may be suspect. Additionally, if you have ever smoked before, it is important to make sure that you're not taking an AREDS supplement with vitamin A or beta-carotene (those are synonyms) in it; this can increase your risk of lung cancer if you've smoked and are taking this vitamin. 2. Also, smoking increases your risk of worsening ARMD so stopping smoking is an important step. 3. Lastly, protect your eyes from UV exposure by wearing sunglasses while outside in the sun. 4. It is important to monitor the vision on a regular basis (1-2x/week) with an Amsler grid. The instructions and a copy of the grid can be found online with a simple google search. This will enable you to catch any possible changes to the vision which could herald a conversion from dry to wet ARMD. If this were to happen it would be vital to your vision to see your ophthalmologist right away to get this treated because if it is caught in time, the changes can be stopped and in some cases reversed. However, if these vision changes are ignored for too long then they can scar over and become permanent. Those are the only things that have been proven to affect the course of ARMD.  But eating a well-balanced, healthy diet and exercising regularly provide the best lifestyle protection against age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) worsening.
Doctor DanB : As far as a surgical procedure to correct your severe myopia, either a phakic intraocular lens or a lens exchange would be the best options for you. Most academic medical centers in the works are going to be able to perform either of these. Does that all make sense?
Customer:

dear doctor... the information provided by you is very basic about macular degeneration

Customer:

i want to know what do i do to prevent it to happen in my other eye

Customer:

i am taking macucheck and isite capsules daily... will that help ?

Doctor DanB : While this information is basic, these are the ONLY PROVEN means by which macular degeneration can be slowed down. There are NO proven prevention methods unfortunately.
Customer:

regarding the surgical procedures... what i understand... both these operations will insert a lense into my eyes..

Customer:

its like wearing contact lenses inside the eye permanently

Doctor DanB : Essentially though one replaces your existing lens.
Customer:

which will not prevent the weakness of my retina. i would like to know if there is any way to completely replace the retina with a healthy one

Customer:

something like an eye transplant

Doctor DanB : No, unfortunately. There is no way to do this, nor do I expect this to be possible in the next decade.
Customer:

i am curious coz my number is XXXXX high

Customer:

will it eventually lead to blindness ?

Customer:

what do you think the next best thing i can do for my eyes...? how can i prevent blindness ?

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, there's no way to know that for sure, but it is certainly possible.
Customer:

can any supplements help ?

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, the only known ways to prevent blindness are what I have already told you; anything else is conjecture.
Doctor DanB : The AREDS supplements I talked about are the only supplements proven to help slow the progression.
Customer:

but this is not age related... since i am only 35

Customer:

have you heard of such high number in your practise ??

Customer:

what is the maximum number possible i can go upto ?

Doctor DanB : Yes, I understand that, but the common pathway of damage is the same. Besides, there is no research data about treatment / progression / prevention of myopic retinal degeneration so the best advice that can be given is an extrapolation of ARMD data.
Customer:

one last thing... what is the maximum spherical no. possible in myopia ?

Doctor DanB : There really is no maximum that the eye can go up to, but it's hard to make glasses upwards of -30
Customer:

the surgeries that you have suggested... either a phakic intraocular lens or a lens exchange.. could u suggest me the best doctor for it ?? it could be anywhere on the globe?

Doctor DanB : I would recommend the Jules Stein Eye Institute in Los Angeles, California.
Customer:

do u suggest a LASIK for my eyes ?? with whatever correction possible

Doctor DanB : No, I think your risk of complications is too high because of your extreme myopia.
Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, I have to go now. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

thanks

Doctor DanB : You bet. Good luck. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology