Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

hi i have a daughter who is nearly 2 and for the past month

hi i have a daughter who is nearly 2 and for the past month or so i have noticed her right eye turns into her nose quite alot whilst her left still looks forward she rubs it quite alot and is becoming very clumsy she falls over fresh air bless her could she be suffering from lazy eye and what is the treatment for this thanx

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes hello

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, there is a strong likelihood of it being esotropia ( deviation fo the eye towards the nose).

Customer:

how do i go about getting this diagnosed

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be many causes for the espotropia . However hypermetropia ( far sightedness) is an important cause which can be corrected easily.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is better to get her examined by a squint/strabismus specialist who can evaluate her in detail and treat accordingly.

Customer:

is there any perminant damaged and who do i go see do i go to m gp and get transfered???

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If a refractive error is found then it needs to be corrected at the earliest so as to prevent amblyopia.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If left uncorrected, it can become irreversible beyond 10 years of age. Yes, you can take a referral from your GP to an ophthalmologist/squint specialist.

Customer:

so what testing would they do and is it painful for my daughter?????

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not at all. All tests are office procedures and painless.

Customer:

would his result in wearing glasses or a atch?

Customer:

patch

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These would include vision test ( special test for children), torch light tests, cover tests, prism bar tests and refraction under cycloplegia.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, there is a possibility of wearing glasses or even patching ( if there is associated amblyopia).

Customer:

is it an easy diagnosis?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it should not be difficult for a squint specialist at all.

Customer:

ok so i go from my Gp or can i go stright through hospital?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A referral from your GP would help you go through faster to a specialist.

Customer:

ok thanx for ur help is it anythng for me to worry about?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. No , squint is not an uncommon condition and has a treatable cause more often than not. It is very crucial to get it corrected at the right time before dense amblyopia sets in.

Customer:

could i not take her to opticians or is that different?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, the opticians would not be trained to look for anything beyond a refractive error. It is no good going to an optician .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is ther anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

right thank you i will go to gp first thing tomorrow thanx again

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist