Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i have irritation under my skin behind my right ear and has

Customer Question

i have irritation under my skin behind my right ear and has now spread down to my shoulder Is there a likelihood it could spread to my eyes? I go on a cruise on thursday is there any thing I can do to relieve this unpleasant irritation?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

JACUSTOMER-my5ezoch- :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Skin lesions generally do not spread to the eye except for herpes zoster ophthalmicus (HZO) which has a characteristic pattern of spread ( forehead and nose and eye). Since your skin irritation has involved the area behind the ear and over the shoulder, it is unlikely to spread to the eye.

JACUSTOMER-my5ezoch- :

what can be done to relieve it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have raised skin lesions or fluid filled lesions or only flat red areas on the skin?

JACUSTOMER-my5ezoch- :

there are no visible signs whatsoever

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case it could be some kind of an allergic reaction/contact dermatitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To relieve the itching sensation you can take oral Tab. Zyrtec, 10 mg , 1 tablet at bedtime. You can apply calamine lotion to the skin for giving soothening effect.

JACUSTOMER-my5ezoch- :

there is no cream of any kind that might relieve the symptoms?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But in case the lesions worsen or spread more, you can consult a dermatologist for a closer look and further treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are skin creams but are prescription medicines which can be given by a doctor.

JACUSTOMER-my5ezoch- :

final question. does it need urgent treatment or will it wait for three weeks ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is no obvious skin lesion except for irritation, I guess it can wait. Something like raised lesions/fluid filled lesions would need urgent care.

JACUSTOMER-my5ezoch- :

Thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hi Dennis,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai