Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had a gigantic migraine ( I think it was one) yesterday.

I had a gigantic migraine ( I think it was one) yesterday. The only thing that alleviated it was taking one 50mg pill of sumatriptan (imitrex). The pain subsided and I went then to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and my left eye was seeing darkened vision compared to my right one which had normal light coming through. No pain whatsoever. This was very uncomfortable and I finally went back to sleep. Upon awakening everything is back to normal. I do suffer for decades from central serous retinopathy and in the last 2 weeks my left eye's vision seems to have gotten worst. I have also had a couple of painless eye migraines giving me bilateral scotomas for 20 minutes. Can u advise on the course to follow and do u have any idea what happened last night? B 60 years old.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you trying to tell that the vision in your left eye has been deteriorating in the last two weeks and is still worse than the right eye? Has the vision in the left eye returned back to normal ( the same as your right eye) now ?

Customer:

The vision in my left eye had gotten worst. Line are squiggly. Seems like a flare up of CSR. It has not returned to what it was 3 weeks ago and may be a bit better since the lines are getting straighter.

Customer:

The right eye is ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are right about flare up of CSR. It is known to have relapses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Flare up can occur with stress too.

Customer:

I know. I had tons of them, although they started in 1994 and are known to stop with age. Not in my case.

Customer:

I am a writer and it is getting really hard to work.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However it is known to have natural recovery most of the times ( I am sure you are pretty well verse with it by now).

Customer:

sadly.

Customer:

Have u hear of any recent new treatment for that condition?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the site of leakage is away from the centre of the macula ( retina) , laser can be tried to seal the site of leakage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once the fluid gets absorbed , the vision begins to clear up.

Customer:

I know. In my case it is really central. However this time what is weird is that I do not seem to have 1 or 2 leakages but a whole bunch of little ones all over.

Customer:

I have noticed that I usually have a gigantic migraine over the left eye, nose, and going up to the center of the forehead the day just before a blow up. This is atypical of CSR.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Unfortunately lasers cannot be given to lesions in the centre of the macula.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, CSR is not known to be associated with headache.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But it is known to be associated with stress, anxiety, type A personality.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not sure about this but the migraine it self could be enough to cause stress/anxiety thus triggering an episode.

Customer:

I am quite a bit concerned about the episode last night when I woke up with my whole field of vision darkened over the left eye. Scared me quite a bit. It was gone upon my waking up. Any idea what it was and any advice as to how to proceed?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the possibilities is that being intermittent and not persistent, the scotoma could have been a scintillating scotoma due to the migraine. These are said to disappear after few minutes to hours.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Intermittent or brief loss of vision is also associated with vascular ischemia ( reduced blood flow ).Had the scotoma been more persistent, it would have given the suspicion of conditions other than CSR too such as vascular occlusion.

Customer:

I have had scotomas before and they scintillate. This was just a darkened shadow covering the left field of vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

At this stage it would help to get the eye examined in detail ( dilated eye exam to have a look at the retina) by a retina specialist. It would help to know if the scotoma was only because of a relapse of CSR or due to any other vascular ischemia.

Customer:

OK I will. I am traveling and am now in Israel. I will see someone here. But would you say that the fact that it is gone now to be a good sign that I should not be too concerned ( I mean regarding the shadow vision)?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is good to know that the dark shadow has disappeared but it certainly needs to be kept in mind for further evaluation.

Customer:

ok. It would not be a symptom of TIA of the brain if it was only unilateral right?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It does not seem to be an emergency and can be evaluated at a later date. TIA of the brain would not be associated with a scotoma alone. These are known to be associated with other neurological deficits ( transient) too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

TIA of the eye such as reduced blood flow to the eye ( retinal artery/ophthalmic artery) can present with transient loss of vision which can last for few minutes.

Customer:

and require medication or procedures or nothing?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

would require investigations such as dilated eye exam, fundus angiography, if need be, carotid doppler ( ultrasound), blood investigations such as lipid profile, blood sugar, blood pressure check.

Customer:

Ok. could that wait 2-3 weeks until I get back in the US?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I think so.

Customer:

Great. Thank you so much. if you do not need to give me any other advice, I want to thank you for you kind help and very good counsel.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

Can u email me a copy of our chat?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once we exit the chat this entire conversation will get saved as Q&A format.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You may view it later as and when you want to.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.